Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favorite cut and dish of venison? Mine would have to be chicken-fried steak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favorite cut and dish of venison? Mine would have to be chicken-fried steak.

What's your favorite cut and dish of venison? Mine would have to be chicken-fried steak.

I use prime cuts of venison, cut it in small cubes and use it in my Chili. Even the anti-hunters ask for seconds.

Comment

Tough question or tough decision.
      Tenderloin
      Rack of Venison, cooked and served as you would prime rib

Comment

My favorite is the tenderloin. I like to roll them in olive oil and coat them in Greek seasoning. Let them sit overnight and throw them on the charcoal grill. Cook them rare and you can cut them with a fork. I wish the whole deer was made out of that meat!

Comment

A lot of people go for tendrloins and backstrap, but I find myself prefering what mom cooked. I love myself some venison (or buffalo or beef), barley, and vegetable soup; just the way mom used to make it.

Comment

I would have to choose the tenderloin. I never freeze them. They are cooked simply in butter with salt and pepper in a screaming hot cast iron skillet. They come out rare and served with a salad, dinner rolls, and a fresh vegetable.

Comment

Originally posted by DSMbirddog View Post
              I would have to choose the tenderloin. I never freeze them. They are cooked simply in butter with salt and pepper in a screaming hot cast iron skillet. They come out rare and served with a salad, dinner rolls, and a fresh vegetable.
              Same here. Nothing but salt and pepper for me on any cut. I like to taste the venison.

Comment

Originally posted by DSMbirddog View Post
                I almost picked the tenderloin myself. Had a meal of them last night in fact. I personally tend to prefer things a little more seasoned, so I marinated them in a hickory-smoke marinade for about 8 hours, then fried them up in a skillet with black pepper, garlic and chopped shallots. Can't say I've ever had a better meal.

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
                  My favorite is the tenderloin. I like to roll them in olive oil and coat them in Greek seasoning. Let them sit overnight and throw them on the charcoal grill. Cook them rare and you can cut them with a fork. I wish the whole deer was made out of that meat!
                  Isn't that the truth. I wish the tenderloins were the size of the backstraps! I had a meal of tenderloins last night in fact. I marinated them in a hickory-smoke marinade for about 8 hours, then pan-fried them with black pepper, garlic and chopped shallots. Turned out mighty dang good if I can say so myself.

Comment

I would say the tenderloins since we always eat them as soon as the deer is killed. Nothing like eating venison with your friends after a full day of hunting. Just picked up a book yesterday at a garage sale on the way home called "500 wild game & fish recipes," so maybe I'll find a new favorite. Even has recipes for oppossum and raccoon(not so sure I'll be trying any of them out!).

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
                      All this tenderloin talk made me go down and dig around to see if I had any left in some far uncharted corner of my freezer. I knew I didn't because I cooked all I had for my son's birthday on the 19th. It was worth a shot though. I still have a couple of tags so I'm hoping for the best before the 10th. Might have to give your pan frying a shot!

Comment

I turn all my deer into burger---nothing added---and love it in Chili, lasagna, meatloaf, spaghetti, etc. Like JHP, I use prime cuts for stew meat and get rave reviews.

Comment

1st pan seared tenderloin steak
                          2nd roast made into pulled venison sandwiches.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                            I would say the tenderloins since we always eat them as soon as the deer is killed. Nothing like eating venison with your friends after a full day of hunting. Just picked up a book yesterday at a garage sale on the way home called "500 wild game & fish recipes," so maybe I'll find a new favorite. Even has recipes for oppossum and raccoon(not so sure I'll be trying any of them out!).
                            I would imagine raccoon would be about like eating a miniature black bear. 'possum though, I'm not so sure. I might have to pass on that unless I was starving. I have always wondered about woodchuck and beaver. Beaver jokes aside, I have never eaten either and their meat always looks pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                              Small black bear is good description of raccoon, it's not as strong and oily as bear. Beaver and muskrat are not good eats. Woodchuck is like a large stringy squirrel if it was on a diet of greens. If the chuck was chucking wood then it's more like porcupine.
                              Bon Appetit

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                                by jhjimbo
                                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                                Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                              • Pay it forward
                                by fitch270
                                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                              • Reloading Gear Order
                                by fitch270
                                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                                by dewman
                                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                                by Ernie
                                Any handgun hunters here?
                                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X