Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know this is an odd sounding question but by chance does any one know of classes or lesson on how to craft recurve bows as well as skinning and tanning classes? and thank yo in advance for at the very least taking time out of your day to read this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know this is an odd sounding question but by chance does any one know of classes or lesson on how to craft recurve bows as well as skinning and tanning classes? and thank yo in advance for at the very least taking time out of your day to read this.

I know this is an odd sounding question but by chance does any one know of classes or lesson on how to craft recurve bows as well as skinning and tanning classes? and thank yo in advance for at the very least taking time out of your day to read this.

I think classes will have to be found by you due to differences in location. Do a google search for "raptor archery classes and seminars" and maybe give them a call. That is the only website I could find online. There are also some really great videos on youtube of how to skin and tan hides. Maybe check those out. You could also keep your eyes out for when there is a fur sale/auction and talk to some of the people there. I know there are also books out there on how to skin/tan hides.
    -I have never made a bow, but I can tell you that everyone makes mistakes when learning how to skin/tan hides. Don't be discouraged, but I would suggest starting on something like a squirrel in case you mess up. Best of luck.

Comment

I've found videos on YouTube for long bows... You might be able to find some for Recurve bows.
      I'm sure you can find some things on Google.
      Good Luck!
      Seth

Comment

Raptor Archery conducts classes on bow building. http://www.raptorarchery.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=142
        Three Rivers Archery has several books and DVDs on bow building. http://www.3riversarchery.com

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
          I think classes will have to be found by you due to differences in location. Do a google search for "raptor archery classes and seminars" and maybe give them a call. That is the only website I could find online. There are also some really great videos on youtube of how to skin and tan hides. Maybe check those out. You could also keep your eyes out for when there is a fur sale/auction and talk to some of the people there. I know there are also books out there on how to skin/tan hides.
          -I have never made a bow, but I can tell you that everyone makes mistakes when learning how to skin/tan hides. Don't be discouraged, but I would suggest starting on something like a squirrel in case you mess up. Best of luck.
          ah, thank you for giving wonderful suggestions,advice and links i appreciate it

Comment

ah, thank you for giving wonderful suggestions,advice and links i appreciate it..now how do i mark this as answered by wonderful people?

Comment

Originally posted by seth trudeau View Post
              I've found videos on YouTube for long bows... You might be able to find some for Recurve bows.
              I'm sure you can find some things on Google.
              Good Luck!
              Seth
              Not sure what state your in but if its Michigan your overlooking a great state treasure. There is a sporting magazine written and published in Mich. thats named Woods-n-Water News. It is one of the finest and factual mags you can purchase in this state. No disrespect ment to this pub. but the proof is in the pudding. In this mag. you will find the monthly writings of one of, if not the best, craftsman in Mich. and maybe the U.S.A. This persons name is Darryl Quidort and one of his past series this year answers all your questions perfectly. In that series he took the process you request from top to bottom, or should I say firewood to tackdriver. He explains in his writings things that most of todays i-pad geniuses overlook or consider to be unimportant (what is the best type of wood for bow making; osage) That is one of the most impotant things I remember. I have never met the man but he is on the top of my "bucket list", and I have no doubt that you can make contact with him by calling or e-mailing the WWN website and requesting he make contact. From the pictures in the mag. and also his writings it is safe to say that he is not a spring chicken, but wise as an owl. There are also a couple of people in the state that tan and sell hides,but even though I've met them I dont recall there names or numbers,WWN might have info for you. Best of luck in your ventures and dont forget to take lots of pictures. ram

Comment

answered your question but put it in wrong place. look at answer #4, and click on the answer for that one. e-mail for #4 is trudeau

Comment

Hi...

Besides books on these matters...you might want to contact a taxidermist to see if said person would be willing to let you watch some of their work...!!

As to bows...again, there are books on same...and there are also videos on same on You Tube which may be helpful...!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                    by dewman
                    Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                    Yesterday, 08:40 AM
                  • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                    by dewman
                    Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                    Yesterday, 07:59 AM
                  • What is taking so long ?
                    by jhjimbo
                    Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
                    09-21-2020, 07:52 PM
                  • Burn cream
                    by CD2
                    Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
                    No longer does.
                    Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
                    Bargain.

Got...
                    09-21-2020, 05:39 PM
                  • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                    by dewman
                    So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                    09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X