Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are everybody's deer seasons going? I was fortunate enough to shoot a really nice 9 pointer (See photo below) with my bow on Thursday, after having an extremely tough season up until then. Just goes to show that no matter how badly your season ha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are everybody's deer seasons going? I was fortunate enough to shoot a really nice 9 pointer (See photo below) with my bow on Thursday, after having an extremely tough season up until then. Just goes to show that no matter how badly your season ha

How are everybody's deer seasons going? I was fortunate enough to shoot a really nice 9 pointer (See photo below) with my bow on Thursday, after having an extremely tough season up until then. Just goes to show that no matter how badly your season has gone, it's still worth going out there and keeping at it, because your luck can change in an instant.

See photo
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
      See photo
      First off, congrats on the deer. The long hard seasons are the ones that seem to stick well in memory, at least for me. Rifle season is still open here until the 25th. I shot a doe on opening morning(she had been shot in the leg by another hunter at some point so I couldn't let her go by me on 3 legs). On Friday it was raining hard and I was pretty bundled up with a hood on, etc. I randomly looked to my left and there was a stud of a buck 15 yards away looking dead at me. I am left handed and there was no way I was going to risk shooting right handed and injuring him, so that one got away(for now)! This morning I could only go out for a few hours and had a 7 point in my sights but I chose to let him walk. I have had the memory of seeing that buck in the rain ever since it happened, so I am going to pass on pretty much any other buck.

Comment

First off, congrats on the deer. Hopefully you see the one that broke his point off during rifle/gun season. The long hard seasons are the ones that seem to stick well in memory, at least for me. Rifle season is still open here until the 25th. I shot a doe on opening morning(she had been shot in the leg by another hunter at some point so I couldn't let her go by me on 3 legs). On Friday it was raining hard and I was pretty bundled up with a hood on, etc. I randomly looked to my left and there was a stud of a buck 15 yards away looking dead at me. I am left handed and there was no way I was going to risk shooting right handed and injuring him, so that one got away(for now)! This morning I could only go out for a few hours and had a 7 point in my sights but I chose to let him walk. I have had the memory of seeing that buck in the rain ever since it happened, so I am going to pass on pretty much any other buck.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
          First off, congrats on the deer. Hopefully you see the one that broke his point off during rifle/gun season. The long hard seasons are the ones that seem to stick well in memory, at least for me. Rifle season is still open here until the 25th. I shot a doe on opening morning(she had been shot in the leg by another hunter at some point so I couldn't let her go by me on 3 legs). On Friday it was raining hard and I was pretty bundled up with a hood on, etc. I randomly looked to my left and there was a stud of a buck 15 yards away looking dead at me. I am left handed and there was no way I was going to risk shooting right handed and injuring him, so that one got away(for now)! This morning I could only go out for a few hours and had a 7 point in my sights but I chose to let him walk. I have had the memory of seeing that buck in the rain ever since it happened, so I am going to pass on pretty much any other buck.
          If you were referring to his left G4, it actually wasn't broken off, at least not in hard-antler. It looked like the tip must've been marred when it was still growing in velvet, that's why it appears kind of stubbed-off. I know what you mean about the tough seasons being the most memorable, both good and bad. In some ways this year was one of me best bow seasons ever, since I finally got it done with this deer, but it was also my most frustrating, as I screwed up on no less than 3 other big bucks (two of them even bigger than this one) before this buck. Good luck getting that stud JM, I know I'll be after two of the ones that got away from me during our gun season.

Comment

I've been hunting harder this year, bow and gun, than any other year. A very large buck in my area has been getting me up early and having me sit through some pretty miserably cold conditions this season. Darn those trail cameras lol! I have yet to see him in person but hopefully that will change soon. However, the rut is winding down so missed that opportunity to catch him doing something stupid. Nice job on that 9 pt that is awesome. Iowa has great deer. Good genetics and nutrition but I'm sure most people let them grow down there right? Is there a law that says minimum 8 points to shoot? Up in MN if it's brown it's down culture is prevalent in lots of places.

Comment

Nice deer. I will be going out Dec 1 when the gun season opens in Ohio.

Comment

Nice buck, and thanks for sharing the pic. I filled my buck tag on Friday evening. I've been waiting all season for a drop-tined whitetail, but I snuck out for an hour of prairie hunting after work on Friday, and something tripped my inner predator when I saw a high-racked mule deer. Once I started stalking him I knew I'd kill him, even if he's not the giant I was holding out for. Then on Saturday I killed a cow elk. So Sunday was spent cutting and wrapping meat and grinding sausage.
                - mckean

Comment

Originally posted by MN Outdoorsman View Post
                  I've been hunting harder this year, bow and gun, than any other year. A very large buck in my area has been getting me up early and having me sit through some pretty miserably cold conditions this season. Darn those trail cameras lol! I have yet to see him in person but hopefully that will change soon. However, the rut is winding down so missed that opportunity to catch him doing something stupid. Nice job on that 9 pt that is awesome. Iowa has great deer. Good genetics and nutrition but I'm sure most people let them grow down there right? Is there a law that says minimum 8 points to shoot? Up in MN if it's brown it's down culture is prevalent in lots of places.
                  Nope, no antler size restrictions here in IA. The culture really started to change about 10-15 years ago in my area, before that a lot of guys (especially shotgun hunters) would shoot any deer that moved. But now most people won't shoot yearling bucks, and a quite a few hunters won't even shoot 2-year-olds. I personally hold out for 4 year old or older bucks, especially with a bow when you usually have more time to judge the age of the animal. But I'm glad we don't have any antler or age restrictions here, because I'm not one of those QDM-Nazis who wants to force everybody else to do things their way. If another hunter shoots a younger deer, I'm not going to get upset about it. I just like the extra challenge of killing mature deer. Good luck getting that big one.

Comment

I have had some great encounters with smaller bucks and does, but I haven't even raised my bow yet this season. I have taken plenty of pictures, but it's hard to grill a good snapshot. There's still some time though and we're out after them when work doesn't get in the way.
                    Nice buck!

Comment

Congratulations, working hard for em makes them that much sweeter.
                      My deer tags are all filled so I'll be focusing on turkeys and pheasants. Coming down to IA later this week for some late season pheasant hunting.

Comment

That's a great buck, Huntfish. I didn't get a deer in Iowa's early muzzle loader season. I saw 3 yearlings and wasn't interested in them. Half an hour into Wisconsin's gun season I was able to get a good shot at a nice 10 pointer. My nephew shot a doe the next morning so it was a success in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                          See photo
                          Very nice deer! And a great pic! I like the angle of the photo.

Comment

This past season I got a pig and three deer. Pretty typical. Here's a pic of the pig...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                              by fitch270
                              Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                              Yesterday, 05:55 PM
                            • Grips and stocks
                              by dewman
                              so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                              Yesterday, 08:55 AM
                            • Youth pheasant hike
                              by fitch270
                              Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                              09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                            • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                              by fitch270
                              Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                              09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                            • Unusual Sound
                              by jhjimbo
                              At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                              09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X