Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a topo map for hunting and don't want to spend $400.00 on Google Earth to make one. I would like to use google earth to make on though, is there any cheaper way, say getting google earth for a month?Also could I use a car gps for hunting, like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a topo map for hunting and don't want to spend $400.00 on Google Earth to make one. I would like to use google earth to make on though, is there any cheaper way, say getting google earth for a month?Also could I use a car gps for hunting, like

I need a topo map for hunting and don't want to spend $400.00 on Google Earth to make one. I would like to use google earth to make on though, is there any cheaper way, say getting google earth for a month? Also could I use a car gps for hunting, like a hand held gps. Thank you very much! Seth

I haven't gotten any lately but I used to get them from the US Geological Survey. There was still a cost. Years ago I got a couple from the BLM of a couple areas in Wyoming.

Comment

Have you tried Gmap4? This is an enhanced Google map viewer that can display high resolution topo maps. The following link displays the default map of the world. Do Menu ==> Search to find your location. Then change the basemap to “t4 Topo High”.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php

Full disclosure time: I am the developer of the Gmap4 software that is showing you the map. This project is part of my way to "pay it forward". Translation: Gmap4 is free for non-commercial use. It is popular with people that enjoy a wide range of outdoor activities.

Gmap4 is a browser app, not a native app. Gmap4 runs in most browsers on most devices from smartphones to desktops. Note that the browser does have to be online. When Gmap4 is running in the browser on a smartphone or other mobile device it automatically uses a touch-friendly interface.

The button in the very upper right corner lets you change map types. The Menu button gives access to various features including geolocation and a “link to this map” feature. A rightclick will show coordinates for the point you clicked.

The Menu ==> "Draw and Save" feature lets you add data to the map and then save your data as either a GPX file or a delimited text file. You can also use the map-in-a-link feature to save your data right in the Gmap4 link itself and not have to bother with any data file.

Gmap4 can display these types of files: GPX, TPO, KML, KMZ, Google MyMap, and a delimited file format.

The Gmap4 homepage has a FAQ, examples, quick start info (on the Help page) and more to quickly get you up to speed.

One of the articles on the Help page shows you how to use Gmap4 on your smartphone offline.

Gmap4 default map: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php

Gmap4 homepage: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.html

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy
      Redmond, WA

Comment

You can download for free or order maps from USGS at:
        http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/maplocator/(ctype=areaDetails&xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd&carea= 0000000009&layout=6_1_61_50_2&uiarea=2)/.do

follow the navigation tools or search by zip, location. once there's the little balloon point marked, if you right click on it it'll give you a list of available maps with Buy and Download options.
        The purchase prices are around $8-$15 so it's not a bad deal to get them delivered.
        Also some sporting goods stores will have them on hand for the immediate area if you ask at the counter.

Comment

I've used MSR Maps (http://msrmaps.com/) quite a bit. It's pretty decent, and free, so you can't beat it in that regard. Just enter your town or zip code, and choose from either a topo map or aerial photo of the surrounding location.

Comment

Cabela's or Gander Mountain sells a lot of hand held hunting GPS, but a new GPS could be pricey as well ranging from $50-$500. I'd suggest going to-- mytopo.com -- and using that site for a map for your hunting needs. I am using it to print out maps of several hunting properties around my area.

Comment

Outdoor Life has a fantastic free app for I phone that is much like Google Earth but its more like satalite photos than topo I used it to find water on a 4000 acre property ive hunted for 8 years. Had no idea the pond was there till i saw it on the Outdoor Life Hunting app

Comment

I use BigGameLogic.com to map my properties. There are options to switch between topo and satellite views, and you can print the maps off for hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by DSMbirddog View Post
                  I haven't gotten any lately but I used to get them from the US Geological Survey. There was still a cost. Years ago I got a couple from the BLM of a couple areas in Wyoming.
                  you can draw your own map poi google copy pretty ez

Comment

You can use this website to view hunting topo maps with property lines for all US states.

http://hunting-app.toposports.com/

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                      by fitch270
                      Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                      Today, 08:27 PM
                    • Unusual Sound
                      by jhjimbo
                      At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                      Today, 02:17 PM
                    • bedding on new rifle
                      by Amflyer
                      Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                      Today, 12:22 AM
                    • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                      by fitch270
                      Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                      Yesterday, 08:57 PM
                    • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                      by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                      09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X