Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling, how often should you call in dense woods where the deer can't be seen till they are within 75yds? If you don't hear or see anything, is it ok to do a call every 10mins? It didn't seem to effect my luck but I haven't been hunting for long. Ju

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling, how often should you call in dense woods where the deer can't be seen till they are within 75yds? If you don't hear or see anything, is it ok to do a call every 10mins? It didn't seem to effect my luck but I haven't been hunting for long. Ju

Calling, how often should you call in dense woods where the deer can't be seen till they are within 75yds? If you don't hear or see anything, is it ok to do a call every 10mins? It didn't seem to effect my luck but I haven't been hunting for long. Just want to get some opinions. How many people actually wait 20-30 mins, and does it have any real effect. Any calling stories where you wished you would have been/stopped calling? What are the chances frequent calling can scare off a deer? Thanks

deer arnt like turkeys and such you can call all you want some deer will react by coming some will run some will not pay any attention. i hit the grunter when i am completely bored off my gore. or if i see a deer going in the opposite direction or away i will try and grunt and see if it will come my way. some times it works some times it wont. a grunt snort wheez cant work if the buck is a fighter and its the right time of day. be aware grunt snort wheez will sometimes make a deer circle you and try and catch your scent first. dont fall for that t.v. hunting channel crap deer calling is hit or miss i rarely call deer in even when i see them. it has worked a time or two but often they pay no mind and keep going on there marry way. its best to be in a good spot and wait quietly. grunt to stop them for the shot when they are close but a good loud "hey" will stop them faster just be ready to shoot when they stop.

Comment

I call for 10 or 15 minutes, soft at first then louder. If nothing, I wait over 1/2 hour before I call again - unless I have moved to a different place then I call right away.

Comment

I tend to give it 5 or 10 minutes at a minimum between a couple of calls.
        I bleat with just my mouth and will have a grunt tube later in the season.
        I might give it longer if I don't see anything, because I'm not sure what's happening if I can't see it which makes me cautious.
        To go with Cowboy's point, when I could see the deer I've had everything from bucks charging in for a fight, doe slowly browsing their way towards the call, and deer just continuing on by with only a couple glances in the direction of the call.
        I've never seen a deer get spooked by calling. Unfortunate movement at the moment I got a deer's attention.. yeah, that'll spook em.

Comment

About the only blind calling I do is rattling with a little grunting and I will do that every 20-30 minutes. I'll grunt a bit more when I can see the deer and try to gauge their reaction to decide what I do next. Definitely hit or miss but always worth a shot. I figure as long as the sound is natural, you won't scare a deer completely off. They live in the woods and are used to hearing a lot of sounds.

Comment

In my experience calling works just often enough to be worthwhile, and blind-calling is obviously less effective than calling to a deer you've already seen. About the only blind calling I do is rattling, with a few grunts thrown in for good measure. I usually wait at least 30 minutes between rattling sequences. I don't think it would hurt to call more often, but I generally prefer to just sit there and enjoy the outdoors, and besides, the more you move (when rattling), the more likely it is that a deer will see you. I will grunt and/or bleat to any "shooter" buck that looks like it will go by out of range. I can't say that I've ever scared a deer with grunting or bleating, but snort-wheezing (a very agressive call generally made by dominant bucks) definitely can scare younger or less dominant bucks.

Comment

JMO Here in NH I only will blind rattle (with real horns). I will do soft doe calls or non-challenging grunts when I see one out of range, depending on the rut timing, just to draw them in for a shot. It's important to not overcall, they know where you are on the first call.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Lost some cover; pic heavy
                by fitch270
                ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              • Covid-19
                by jhjimbo
                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
              • Spur of the moment rifle
                by Amflyer
                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
              • The $20 Shooting Shack
                by fitch270
                So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
              • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                by dewman
                one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                09-15-2020, 08:42 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X