Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This summer when I took a scouting trip back to the public land spot where I shot my archery buck last year, I discovered that someone had made a salt lick about 100 yards away from where I'd had my stand, and hung a trail cam over it. I was a bit ir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This summer when I took a scouting trip back to the public land spot where I shot my archery buck last year, I discovered that someone had made a salt lick about 100 yards away from where I'd had my stand, and hung a trail cam over it. I was a bit ir

This summer when I took a scouting trip back to the public land spot where I shot my archery buck last year, I discovered that someone had made a salt lick about 100 yards away from where I'd had my stand, and hung a trail cam over it. I was a bit irritated, but hey, it's public land. But today when I went back to check out the spot again, I found that presumably the same guy hung a stand 20 yards from the salt lick, with a nice shooting land cut right to the lick. In Iowa you cannot hunt over bait (which includes salt), so this stand is in blatant violation of the law. Now my question; should I report it to the DNR? Leave a note warning that I will do so if they don't move the stand? Or just let it go and hunt elsewhere? I don't lack for hunting spots, so it wouldn't be a big loss in that regard, but the principle of the thing bothers me.

Inform the local CO. The guy is trying to cheat and needs have a discussion with the referee.

Comment

In my opinion, you have to turn the person in on principle alone. Laws are for everyone and not just for the ones who choose to follow them. It is simply not that hard to hunt legally. I see it as my moral duty to turn in such things when I find them. If I didn't, I'd feel like I was giving it my approval.
      By the way, he is also breaking the law in that his tree stand is hung too early, assuming he didn't hang it for the youth season. If he hung it for bow season, he can't legally have it up on state land before seven days prior to the season's start date.

Comment

That's a triple foul because it goes past his own baiting(assuming it's illegal where you're at) and the proximity of his stand to yours. In PA we have a fairly vague law about you being responsible to know that your area hasn't been baited within the last 30 days and that you cannot hunt "on or about" the bait. I'd love them to put a distance on that, but understand it's situational. 100 yards in thick woods is pretty far.. unless you're set up on the obvious funnel. 100 yards where you have the sight lines can cause you problems.

Comment

I suggest that you contact DNR and let them resolve the problem. No need to confront him yourself.

Comment

Yep, turn him in. You could try confronting him or leaving a note, but he'd probably just move his spot.

Comment

Double post, sorry.

Comment

Definitely report it and make sure the local CO follows up on it. You have to play by the rules so should they.

Comment

Hi...

Report it right away...cut 'em off at the knees...DON'T let 'em get away with that kind of unlawful activity...!!

Such actions hurt you and every other law-abiding hunters...!!

Comment

Definitely report and not confront. If there is information on the stand to help identify the person record that and give that info to the CO. Sorry but this is in the same category as poaching for me, and it is a sore point as it hurts all legitimate law abiding hunters and the public at large. Hope they catch the guy.

Comment

Absolutely, report it! Not only is he in violation of a baiting law, but on many public lands it is illegal to cut or trim vegetation.

Comment

turn him in and hunt some place else this season till its resolved

Comment

Report the salt lick and you move to another location.

Comment

The Public land I hunt doesn't allow baiting, nor hanging a permanent stand. I agree, don't directly confront, do notify the local game officer, and do find another spot to hunt.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget