Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With the colder weather, fall, and the rut approaching, more and more deer are getting hit by cars increases astronomically. The dangers to the deer, the driver, passengers, and of course swerving motorists is deadly for all. With the increase in tec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With the colder weather, fall, and the rut approaching, more and more deer are getting hit by cars increases astronomically. The dangers to the deer, the driver, passengers, and of course swerving motorists is deadly for all. With the increase in tec

With the colder weather, fall, and the rut approaching, more and more deer are getting hit by cars increases astronomically. The dangers to the deer, the driver, passengers, and of course swerving motorists is deadly for all. With the increase in technology in vehicles these days, which some even comes off as unnecessary, what do you think (realistically) can be put on a vehicle to help with either sensing the deer or causing it to turn the other way?

I don't think there is anything 100%. I had deer whistles on my jeep and hit a deer a couple years ago. $2500 damage and I did not get the deer. Early in the AM she was being chased by something and ran full speed into the right front side of the car. Along some Interstate there are lights that flash that warn drivers deer are close to the road. But, what do you do? You are going the speed limit and really don't want to slow down - so, you take your chances.
    One thing that helps is the extended mowing back away from the shoulder of the road.
    Perhaps there is something that will be developed that will alert the deer to stay put.
    I have seen deer look left and right before crossing and like the one I hit, she just came straight out of the woods.

Comment

Drive a little slower and have a passenger keeping an eye out. If you can follow someone do it(please turn the brights off if you do haha). Pretty sure those will always be the best way.

Comment

I understand that there are times that a collision with a deer can't be avoided. However, I really think if people would simply slow down and pay attention in deer prone areas, there would be far fewer deer hit.

Comment

Hi...

There is at least one way for you to minimize some deer vs car crashes.

As you've probably seen, many states have police cars with vertical 'push bumpers' installed on the front bumpers.

NYS Troopers have told me that those push bumpers can decrease the amount of damage to a vehicle vs deer situation...!!

Comment

I don't think there are any mechanical inventions out there that are very effective at preventing car-deer collisions. Those stupid deer whistles are useless for anything but annoying other people. There is no substitute for driving more cautiously and paying attention, especially at dawn and dusk. I truly believe that 90% of deer-related accidents could be prevented by driving slower and keeping a close eye on the ditches.

Comment

Where I live I drive through a lot of deer prone areas at night and in the morning. The deer whistles don't work for crap, but my father has taught me to honk your horn while traveling through deer territory and it spooks them away from your area. He has never hit a deer in his life and neither have I, it might just be luck. But i think it works...

Comment

A lot of 'slow down and be alert' answers, but is that really practical? Suppose you have no other choice but to drive 400 miles on an Interstate at night and the limit is 70mph. Exactly how slow would you go to avoid a deer collision? 35mph? That would make a 6 hour trip into a 12 hour trip and risk you getting hit in the the ars by a big rig. Even a 35mph crash with a deer can be devastating - I know I have hit one at about that speed.
                Follow a big rig? That can back-fire as well with a deer being thrown into your path that the truck hit. A friend had one come right at his windshield that was hit by a vehicle going the opposite direction.
                I really don't see any way to totally, 100%, avoid a deer collision except to not be driving at all.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                  by dewman
                  So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                  Today, 10:12 PM
                • Now That's Service
                  by jhjimbo
                  Had my local Jeep dealer mount two tires and rotate some. When they did that they also spray painted my rims to cover up some brake dust stains I could...
                  Today, 07:57 PM
                • Lost some cover; pic heavy
                  by fitch270
                  ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                  Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                • Covid-19
                  by jhjimbo
                  Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                  09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                • Spur of the moment rifle
                  by Amflyer
                  I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                  09-17-2020, 11:25 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X