Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody ever had a deer officially scored? Does it cost any money or is it hard to find a certified person to score it? A buddy of mine shot a 150's class deer and different people come up with different scores. Although he doesn't care too much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody ever had a deer officially scored? Does it cost any money or is it hard to find a certified person to score it? A buddy of mine shot a 150's class deer and different people come up with different scores. Although he doesn't care too much

Has anybody ever had a deer officially scored? Does it cost any money or is it hard to find a certified person to score it? A buddy of mine shot a 150's class deer and different people come up with different scores. Although he doesn't care too much about what it scores he is curious.

If I were him I'd just pick the higher of the scores haha. Google search "boone and crockett find an official measurer" and it should bring you to their website and just pick your state. I've never done it, but it couldn't hurt to call a few people. Also, most taxidermists that I know can give you a measurement.

Comment

JM gave good advice. Boone and Crockett also has a web site that walks you through the process and gives you a score after you load your measurements. The only other thing I can throw in is that different experts are also likely to come up with different scores.

Comment

Over the years I've had several scored by certified measurers. These friendly guys offered their services for free because like your buddy I don't care about score or entry in "The Book" or "That Other Book". Not why I hunt, however, I will admit it is interesting to know a few stats about your animal.
        All of those measurers told me I was selfish and disrespectful to the animal for not listing it in those previously mentioned books. What do you think about that point?

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I will look into all that. Charlie Elk, those comments regarding being selfish and disrespectful don't make any sense to me. I bet you were grateful and polite when you left them but prob had some other thoughts and words floating around your head as you left that you kept to yourself.

Comment

4 ever is correct your subject to get diff scores but not by much.i think the point they were trying to make is other people enjoy checking out diff racks, but its up to you .

Comment

btw , its not rocket science once you see how they tabulate the score process anyone should be able to get close to the final score .whether its entered or not the score helps people understand the size with out being able to view the rack. the area you hunt may have big bucks I'm not interested in but if I know the score of whats typically harvested then I know if I'm interested or not.

Comment

I wouldn't have one officially scored unless I thought there was a real chance it could be a state or world record. I do score them myself, just to see if my "on-the-hoof" estimation was close.
                My brother did have a buck my grandfather shot in 1953 officially scored a few years ago, because it was the biggest deer anyone in our family had ever killed. It was at a one-time scoring show put on by the DNR at a county conservation center, so it was free and convenient - you just had to show up on that day. If your buddy doesn't care to enter in into any record books anyway, then I wouldn't worry about getting it officially scored, but that's just me.
                As far as charlie elk's point about scorers trying to pressure you into entering it in The Book(s), I don't know about that, because I've never done it. That attitude is stupid, IMHO. But I can say that the main reason I DON'T enter any animals into record books is precisely because of what 6phunter said - I don't want somebody from out of the area or even out of state to become interested in my hunting region because they saw I shot a big buck there.

Comment

@huntfishtrap,
                  An article about how a 180+ buck was killed on a conservation area in Northern Missouri came out a few years ago. From what I've heard you could not find a parking spot for the rest of that season, and it is still extremely crowded years later.

Comment

I had a large whitetail measure in Saskatchewan, Canada by a Boone and Crockett hunter who scores bucks.

My two younger brothers shot two monster mule deer bucks, two hours apart on the same Colorado ridge. These bucks were both measured by a Boone and Crocket Guy. Check out their slammers in the link below.
                    Gary

http://winterhawk.com/docs/Sportsman's%20Warehouse%20Story.pdf

Comment

Sorry, the link will not come up.
                      Just Google Colorado Sportsmen, Winterhawk Outfitters, brothers Joe and Dave with their Mule Deer bucks.
                      Believe me, this photo is worth seeing.

Comment

JM, I believe it. It's true even on a smaller scale. I shot a nice 8 pointer on Thanksgiving last year in a hard-to-reach corner of a very lightly hunted piece of public ground not too far from where I live. I had never seen any sign of another hunter there before that. Unfortunately, a guy who lives down the road from the park saw us dragging the deer out across an open field to the truck, and since there was snow on the ground it would've been easy to follow the drag mark back to where I shot it. When I went back there this summer scouting, there was a pile of salt on the ground with a trail camera over it not 50 yards from where I'd had my tree stand - the same area where I'd previously never seen another boot track. Coincidence? I doubt it.

Comment

While living in MN I was one of their Advanced Hunter Education (AHE) instructors. One of the more popular programs I conducted were the deer clinics where we discussed other hunting tactics than sitting in a stand. To prove it was possible to kill big bucks without being stationary I displayed some of my mounted bucks. This is when the measurers in the audience would come forward offering to score them.
                          In this setting MWK_MN I did not think any bad thoughts about their point of view they just believe in what they are doing.
                          6P though makes me reconsider-- I am a bit selfish, there is no way I want to disclose the location of the kill, especially since they are public land deer. One thing I've learned over the years is the majority of big buck hunters legally take whatever shortcuts are necessary.

Comment

Just about any State game and fish agency will do that for you for free. Call their headquarters to get the nearest location and scorer. Not all employees are certified to score.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                              by jhjimbo
                              If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                              Today, 02:15 PM
                            • Pay it forward
                              by fitch270
                              I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                              10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                            • Reloading Gear Order
                              by fitch270
                              I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                              10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                            • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                              by dewman
                              Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                              10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                            • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                              by Ernie
                              Any handgun hunters here?
                              Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                              10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X