Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are the deer numbers looking in everyone's region...one tough winter here in Canada..but we are seeing a few

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are the deer numbers looking in everyone's region...one tough winter here in Canada..but we are seeing a few

How are the deer numbers looking in everyone's region...one tough winter here in Canada..but we are seeing a few

The population in my state(Missouri) has been hit pretty hard. In hopes of getting the population to bounce back they are limiting the number of does that can be legally killed by each hunter(most of the state allowed for unlimited doe tags...behold the true reason behind the low population). At our farm the population looks really strong, so I am really pumped for bow season which starts next month.

Comment

Deer are hit and miss in Iowa. Some spots are still pretty flush with deer, yet in other places, you'd be lucky to see one. One thing we need to do better here is change the mentality that some hunters have. Many feel that if they have tags in their pocket they all have to be filled. To fill them, they end up shooting anything covered in deer fur. We hunters have a great amount of control over what happens to our deer herd if we'd just use it.

Comment

Things look about the same in Ohio. In my area there are new crops and the bucks on trail cameras look improved racks. All deer look well fed as we have a lot of undergrowth and have had lots of rain. One small City in Northern Ohio has so many deer it is opening a archery season within City limits, year round. Google Avon Lake, Ohio.

Comment

Deer in the northern zone of WI were decimated last winter. Estimates are 120,000-140,000 winter kill. In the central and south I found lots of winter kill this spring but these areas were so over populated to start with it didn't seem to matter. There are deer everywhere and many does have twins and triplets.
          later,
          charlie

Comment

There didn't seem to be too much winter kill in my part of Iowa, but the herd was hit pretty hard last summer/fall with EHD, so populations were down in some areas going into winter. I haven't been seeing a whole lot of deer this summer, and haven't gotten a lot of good bucks on trail camera, so not sure how good the upcoming season will be. We sure don't need another outbreak of EHD like the last two years. As 4everAutumn said, numbers in our state are pretty variable from spot to spot, so what I'm seeing where I hunt might be completely different from somebody 10 miles away.

Comment

I'm about 35 miles N -NW of Philadelphia and they look surprisingly good. I've been surprised, particularly with how bad the winter was and how thick the woods grew in after this wet spring, how many fawns I've seen. I'd say adult deer numbers overall seem on par with the norm, but I've seen a lot more spots than usual. On the downside, as much as I've seen a very high percentage of does with a fawn in toe, I'm struggling to remember seeing a single one with twins this year.

Comment

I'm lucky enough to live in the Deep South where it got cold, but not like "Up Nawth". Don't see any problem with the herd here in LA.

Comment

Hi...

Been seeing quite a few new-borns this summer...so should make for a decent harvest this fall...!! (and perhaps for next year,to).

Comment

Lots of deer and bear sign in northern part of New Jersey.
                    Tons of bear trail cam photos feeding on corn, donuts and two large bags of beef flavor dry dog food.
                    When bears dominate a bait pile the deer don't want any parts of that area.

Comment

Numbers seem to be okay in the areas I hunt in central Iowa. Good luck this fall everyone.

Comment

In NE AR and out in the squirrel woods I see fresh sign every time I go out. This morning had three snorting at me from about 30 to 40 yards in the underbrush. I would say that the population here is going strong as well.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                          by jhjimbo
                          If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                          Today, 02:15 PM
                        • Pay it forward
                          by fitch270
                          I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                          10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                        • Reloading Gear Order
                          by fitch270
                          I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                          10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                        • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                          by dewman
                          Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                          10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                        • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                          by Ernie
                          Any handgun hunters here?
                          Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                          10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X