Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thumbs up on OL site upgrades. Finally an edit button. What do you all think? Will these increase participation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thumbs up on OL site upgrades. Finally an edit button. What do you all think? Will these increase participation?

Thumbs up on OL site upgrades. Finally an edit button. What do you all think? Will these increase participation?

I was a bit surprised by the different look that I found the other day, but I like it. I do think the edit button is a great addition. I hated it when I would hit "post", then re-read what I wrote, to find a glaring typo, or realize I came off like an idiot with no way to change it. I hope it increases participation, as I do enjoy this site and it's definitely better when it's more active.

Comment

I like it also. I still don't understand, as you often bring up Charlie Elk, why they don't put the recent message board topics on the homepage to attract people. I bet 2/3 of the people visiting this site don't know they exist and would comment if they did. Hopefully the editors will go back to doing that. Also, I would recommend leaving up the last 5 questions people ask not just last 3 on the homepage. That will keep the conversations alive longer I think and I find the conversations by as many contributors as possible as the best part of this site as well as the best way to learn things. The no negatives and positives will take some getting used to but I guess it doesn't really matter anyways but I did like seeing what the majority of people agreed with.

Comment

The first two times I tried to sign-in and post, I couldn't, so the new site still has a few bugs. But overall, it seems to be faster and more user-friendly than before, so I would give it a thumbs-up too. I try to make sure my posts are how I want them before hitting "post", but I still make typos occasionally, so the edit button is a good idea. I don't care for not being able to "+1" other posts (or "-1" them, although I almost never did that, except for trolls), but I guess that's a minor quibble. I hope it does increase site use, it has been really dead for the last few months, and I know I didn't post much because I couldn't a lot of times due to the site issues.
        BTW, did anyone else notice that they apparently changed their star ranking system too? 4everAutumn, MWK_MN and myself all had 5 stars before, and now none of us do. Before you got one star for each 1,000 points, up to 5,000, but now there doesn't seem to be any rationale to it.
        P.S. Well, the edit button already came in handy. I just read their explanation for the new points and ratings, and I understand how it works now. It seems to be more complicated than before, at least to me.

Comment

I like the new refreshing look to the site, and it is nice that when I click to "sign on" it works the first time. The edit feature is also a godsend as well. One thing I am not a fan of though is the new stars system. It seems rather high standards to come off as an "intelligent person" on a topic now. A 5-star person seemed more highly decorated on this site with the old way, and is now only a 2-3 out of 5 star person with the new standards. It kind of discredits the person's opinions and advice in my opinion, but overall I'm glad OL has made changes.

Comment

Officerdom1987: I see what you are saying about the changes in the star system and agree that it may sway some of the thoughts of the newer folks on the site. There is a core group of people on this forum that always offer solid advice and back their opinions with experience and passion. The recognizable names and avatars of you folks carry more weight to me than your stars ever will.

Comment

The stars are not an indication of an "intelligent person" rather the amount of contribution to the site. Trust me, my points are not based on "intelligence" - just that I've been here a long time.
              later,
              charlie

Comment

Hi...

Yes, I think the "edit" button will be useful, and MAY increase participation...due to posters being able to correct errors before they are posted. Now, we will be less fearful of posting errors.

Comment

Well Charlie, based on the last several days, I would say participation seems to be up a bit. I hope it stays this way and the newness doesn't wear off.

Comment

I'm back, and I will stay. I'm not saying that I offer intelligence LOL

Comment

LOL! Believe it or not, it just caused some bad blood over the proper way to use the Edit feature...

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
                        Officerdom1987: I see what you are saying about the changes in the star system and agree that it may sway some of the thoughts of the newer folks on the site. There is a core group of people on this forum that always offer solid advice and back their opinions with experience and passion. The recognizable names and avatars of you folks carry more weight to me than your stars ever will.
                        Totally!

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                          The stars are not an indication of an "intelligent person" rather the amount of contribution to the site. Trust me, my points are not based on "intelligence" - just that I've been here a long time.
                          later,
                          charlie
                          I wish Gary eventually reads this one Charlie

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                            by jhjimbo
                            If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                            Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                          • Pay it forward
                            by fitch270
                            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                            10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                          • Reloading Gear Order
                            by fitch270
                            I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                            10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                          • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                            by dewman
                            Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                            10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                          • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                            by Ernie
                            Any handgun hunters here?
                            Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                            10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X