Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

shouldn't cat owners have to buy a hunting license for their cats? pay fines when they take game out of season ,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shouldn't cat owners have to buy a hunting license for their cats? pay fines when they take game out of season ,

shouldn't cat owners have to buy a hunting license for their cats? pay fines when they take game out of season , pay restitution for song birds taken ? WHERE house cats native to this continent before colombus? or are they an invasive species like the snakes in florida ?

You can't blame the cat for killing birds, etc(it's what they do). Should the owner be to blame/responsible if the cat kills another animal? Sure, but they wont get in any trouble. Not really fair since the owner could get you in a ton of trouble if you ever hurt the cat. I do believe house cats would be considered an invasive species.

Comment

As a disclaimer, my family has outdoor cats (we have a farm), and they run freely. I know studies have shown that they do kill a lot of songbirds and small game, but speaking from my own experience, we've had free-ranging cats for many years, and we still have plenty of songbirds and small game around our place. So while they might kill some, I have a hard time believing they make a significant impact in the overall population. And our cats are invaluable for keeping down the vermin around our buildings and garden.
      As for your cat hunting-license idea, it's ridiculous, as I'm sure you know. Your idea of the owners paying restitution for songbirds killed is also absurd. How would anyone know if their cats had killed songbirds, and if they had, how many? I can't remember the last time one of our cats brought a songbird back, it had to have been months ago at least.

Comment

Every American should buy a hunting license. 11% tax is imposed on ammo and guns. That 11% goes to a trust fund to finance state wildlife management in perpetuity. The states receive their share of that 11% based on the number of hunting licenses and permits sold. More licenses means more for wildlife.

Yes, cat populations need a balancing like everything else. Live trapping 70% of the feral cats in your area and taking them to the humane shelter for neutering and adoption or euthanization is reasonable.

Comment

6P, what is it with you and feral cats? Why is it such an issue for you???
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
            6P, what is it with you and feral cats? Why is it such an issue for you???
            Sounds personal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Josey View Post
              Every American should buy a hunting license. 11% tax is imposed on ammo and guns. That 11% goes to a trust fund to finance state wildlife management in perpetuity. The states receive their share of that 11% based on the number of hunting licenses and permits sold. More licenses means more for wildlife.

Yes, cat populations need a balancing like everything else. Live trapping 70% of the feral cats in your area and taking them to the humane shelter for neutering and adoption or euthanization is reasonable.
              That's a good solution.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                You can't blame the cat for killing birds, etc(it's what they do). Should the owner be to blame/responsible if the cat kills another animal? Sure, but they wont get in any trouble. Not really fair since the owner could get you in a ton of trouble if you ever hurt the cat. I do believe house cats would be considered an invasive species.
                Yep

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                  by fitch270
                  Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                  Today, 08:27 PM
                • Unusual Sound
                  by jhjimbo
                  At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                  Today, 02:17 PM
                • bedding on new rifle
                  by Amflyer
                  Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                  Today, 12:22 AM
                • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                  by fitch270
                  Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                  Yesterday, 08:57 PM
                • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                  by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                  09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X