Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how can you tell the difference between a house cat that kills small game and song birds from a feral cat t

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • how can you tell the difference between a house cat that kills small game and song birds from a feral cat t

    how can you tell the difference between a house cat that kills small game and song birds from a feral cat that kills small game and song birds ?

  • #2
    You can't. There are a few cats that live in an abandoned shed near our farm that have not had owners for years, but one still has its old collar on. On the other hand, most people I know that own cats do not put collars on them.

    Comment


    • #3
      You can't. There are a few cats that live in an abandoned shed near our farm that have not had owners for years, but one still has its old collar on. On the other hand, most people I know that own cats do not put collars on them.

      Comment


      • #4
        You can't. That's why I would never shoot a cat I saw roaming the woods. I value the life of someone's pet more than the lives of a few songbirds or rabbits. I know that makes me a bad conservationist by some folks' standards, but I'm not going to apologize for it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Any non-native cat illegally hunting our native wildlife where I live then in turn gets hunted until dead. You MUST also destroy all stray collared cats, they are the source of all ferals. If you don't destroy them too then you have done NOTHING to solve the feral cat problem. I shot and buried hundreds of these vermin, the eradication so complete and effective that I've seen nor heard even ONE cat in nearly five years now. Hunted to extinction works on them, it's the only thing that works.

          Comment


          • #6
            Sounds to me like you just hate cats for whatever reason and want people to agree with you. Nature will strike a balance in predator and prey in any given area if man stays out of the equation. The few birds and small game that cats consume are minuscule on balance to the mice and rats that they normally prey on. If you have a problem with feral cats call the local authorities and let them handle the problem.

            Comment


            • #7
              I first tried to rid my lands of cats by hand-rearing native predators (to also repopulate my lands after I found out they had all but disappeared due to starvation-by-cat). Thinking that these native predators could oust the cats for me. It was a failure (in regards to them helping in the least, even highly amusing at times).

              Please read this post (of mine), URL below, that fully explains why humans cannot and should not rely on nature to solve this man-made ecological disaster for them. The government of Australia made a similar error with their attempts at increasing Dingo populations which did nothing to curtail cats’ breeding rates. I alerted them to how and why their experiment failed, having discovered this man-made anomaly on my own lands years ago. Not only will native predators not solve the problem, but they end-up dying in the process from all the diseases that cats carry and spread today.

              neighbors D0T denverpost D0T com SLASH viewtopic.php?source=phpbb_art_viewall&t=22154584# p2781776

              The ONLY predator on earth today that can balance the equation is the discerning eye of a human aiming a gun at every last free-roaming invasive-species cat it sees.

              Comment


              • #8
                You would think outside feral cats would be shabby or thin looking and the house cats would be better groomed and well fed.
                Here is a photo from my trail cam of a cat watching two turkey hen birds.
                Is it house or feral cat? I don't know but if I had to guess I would say its a feral?


                www.outdoorlife.com/photos/bragging-board/recent/single?pnid=1001355106#1001355106

                Comment


                • #9
                  When we were kids, our two champion hunting dogs (a Cockapoo and her half Pekinese son)loved treeing cats. If we were far enough from town to be sure they were feral, we killed them.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    A house cat would have a collar on it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      6P, what is it with you and cats?
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                        6P, what is it with you and cats?
                        Should they be classified as pests?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by land_cruiser_73 View Post
                          When we were kids, our two champion hunting dogs (a Cockapoo and her half Pekinese son)loved treeing cats. If we were far enough from town to be sure they were feral, we killed them.
                          Probably a good thing to do for the game in that area.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Nature Advocate View Post
                            I first tried to rid my lands of cats by hand-rearing native predators (to also repopulate my lands after I found out they had all but disappeared due to starvation-by-cat). Thinking that these native predators could oust the cats for me. It was a failure (in regards to them helping in the least, even highly amusing at times).

                            Please read this post (of mine), URL below, that fully explains why humans cannot and should not rely on nature to solve this man-made ecological disaster for them. The government of Australia made a similar error with their attempts at increasing Dingo populations which did nothing to curtail cats’ breeding rates. I alerted them to how and why their experiment failed, having discovered this man-made anomaly on my own lands years ago. Not only will native predators not solve the problem, but they end-up dying in the process from all the diseases that cats carry and spread today.

                            neighbors D0T denverpost D0T com SLASH viewtopic.php?source=phpbb_art_viewall&t=22154584# p2781776

                            The ONLY predator on earth today that can balance the equation is the discerning eye of a human aiming a gun at every last free-roaming invasive-species cat it sees.
                            I agree with you. Get rid of feral cats!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ozark_ghost View Post
                              Sounds to me like you just hate cats for whatever reason and want people to agree with you. Nature will strike a balance in predator and prey in any given area if man stays out of the equation. The few birds and small game that cats consume are minuscule on balance to the mice and rats that they normally prey on. If you have a problem with feral cats call the local authorities and let them handle the problem.
                              RIP Ozark Ghost

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                              Right Rail 1 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Lost some cover; pic heavy
                                by fitch270
                                ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                                Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              • Covid-19
                                by jhjimbo
                                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

                                Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                              • Spur of the moment rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                              • The $20 Shooting Shack
                                by fitch270
                                So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                                09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                              • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                                by dewman
                                one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                                09-15-2020, 08:42 AM

                              Right Rail 3 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X