Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I recall some time ago there was a discussion on this forum regarding the use of dogs hunting deer. I objected to the idea till

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recall some time ago there was a discussion on this forum regarding the use of dogs hunting deer. I objected to the idea till

I recall some time ago there was a discussion on this forum regarding the use of dogs hunting deer. I objected to the idea till some Southern fellows described the hunt and changed my opinion. Please, refresh my memory and educate others on this site about this style of hunting.

The absolute, all-time best description of a deer drive in the South is found in Tom Kelly's book, "The Tenth Legion". Not only will you laugh your a$$ off, but it is extremely accurate. I know, because I've been on over a hundred of them.

Comment

thanks Pineywoods, I will check it out

Comment

A long time ago I lived in FL where I was invited along on several hound hunts for deer, hogs and bear. Those hunts changed my mind in favor. However, there are what I consider abuses or lack of the art of hounding today. Particularly in the use of communication technology. Some so called hunters release their dogs and pursue via vehicle while in communication with other hunters. The goal is to then get the game to cross a road or trail to shoot it. Not exactly fair chase in my humble opinion.
        The hounds men who release the dogs and give chase with the dogs on foot across the country side; swamps, hills, forest and mountains--now there is an adrenaline pumping method of hunting that is definitely fair chase.
        Dittos to piney on the Tenth Legion recommendation.
        later,
        charlie

Comment

I recall that discussion Kody and if my memory serves it was as frisky as a puppy turned loose. Sadly it was deleted back when OL burped and we all lost our login privileges and all the hard earned points.

later,
          charlie

Comment

Interesting. To each his own I suppose. I would not turn down a hound hunt. Some of the issues I have seen are dogs passing onto other folks' land, dogs running down yearlings (they don't fare well), and dogs get torn up by hogs if their two-legged counterparts cannot keep up.
            Still, I have been on some "hound" hunts (mainly for hog) that were incredible. It can be truly sporting, especially when none of you have a firearm.

Comment

Ive done it and enjoyed it. you have to have lots of land and lots of ethics. I think the ethical part is what has given this type of hunting a bad rap.?

Comment

I found a 5 year old thread about deer hunting with dogs and posted a link on the Message Board, Whitetail Deer - Deer Hounds.
                This Answer area would not let me post the link.

Outdoorchic opened the topic. I wonder where she is these days?
                later,
                charlie

Comment

I have never hunted deer behind hounds but have hunted squirrels over them before. There is just something about hearing that bay of a treeing hound that gets into you and you can never forget it. To see the dog work to figure out the trail and then find the squirrel is amazing to watch and be a small part of.

Comment

Thank you for finding a way to post that original forum discussion on the message board, Charlie Elk. I realize it is time the Editors of this mag got ahead of the curve and started connecting with their readers by revisiting what has worked in the past. I see nothing but formula material and the same tired content rehashed over and over again. Those old forum discussions are more engaging and entertaining. What ever happened to adventure, sparking the reader's imagination and shaping some dreams for the future. Let's get back to telling stories, sharing stuff beyond the technical aspects of your firearm and the logistics of the hunt. Proof you had some fun or make something up for God's sake!

Comment

I've never hunted that way but would like to experience it before the tradition is gone

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                        I've never hunted that way but would like to experience it before the tradition is gone
                        I believe Country Road has hunted that way...

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                          thanks Pineywoods, I will check it out
                          Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by the captain View Post
                            Interesting. To each his own I suppose. I would not turn down a hound hunt. Some of the issues I have seen are dogs passing onto other folks' land, dogs running down yearlings (they don't fare well), and dogs get torn up by hogs if their two-legged counterparts cannot keep up.
                            Still, I have been on some "hound" hunts (mainly for hog) that were incredible. It can be truly sporting, especially when none of you have a firearm.
                            Yep, it can be an exciting hunt using dogs to go after pigs

Comment

Originally posted by GERG View Post
                              Ive done it and enjoyed it. you have to have lots of land and lots of ethics. I think the ethical part is what has given this type of hunting a bad rap.?
                              Yep, and that's part of why it's dying out

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                                by jhjimbo
                                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                              • Spur of the moment rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                              • The $20 Shooting Shack
                                by fitch270
                                So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                                09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                              • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                                by dewman
                                one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                                09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                              • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                                by dewman
                                So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                                09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X