Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

While bow hunting this morning, I had a shooter buck come by out of range, and while trying to cross a fence, he got caught in t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While bow hunting this morning, I had a shooter buck come by out of range, and while trying to cross a fence, he got caught in t

While bow hunting this morning, I had a shooter buck come by out of range, and while trying to cross a fence, he got caught in the wire. He was only stuck briefly, before getting free and leaving hastily. But it brought an interesting question to mind; would it be ethical to walk up to a deer caught in that manner and shoot it? What would you do in that hypothetical situation? Shoot it? Leave it to let things work themselves out however they may? Or try to free it? And would what kind of deer it was (buck or doe, big or small, etc.) matter? All thoughts are welcome.

-Where I hunt we are allowed unlimited doe tags(which I hate), so if it was a doe stuck in the fence I would probably shoot it and turn it into long-term foods like sausage and jerky and share it with friends and family during the holidays.
    -Due to only being allowed one buck tag I would first attempt to set it free. I do not think my heart would "let things work themselves out," so if I were unable to free it I would kill it even if it was the first day of the season.

Comment

I suspect I would shoot it if it didn't look like it would get free on its own. If it was a deer I wouldn't ordinarily shoot, I might try to free it, if it looked possible with risking my life and limb.
      I'm with you though, if it looked like it was really stuck I couldn't just leave it, under any circumstances.

Comment

If I couldn't get it loose I would rather shoot it than let it die that way. I helped free a doe from a fence a number of years ago. It took three of us to hold her down while a DNR officer untangled the barb wire. Be careful if you ever try this because you don't realize how strong a deer really is. You could end up with a caved in skull.

Comment

I'm kind of with JM, though I'm happy with my special regs area unlimited doe tags. If it was a doe I might take it for the freezer depending on size. If I generally would have let it walk, I'd try to free it first. If it was a buck, I'd tend toward freeing it if possible. There's always that 'story' aspect of taking a buck, particularly a good one, and I don't want my story to be it was stuck, so I took advantage of it. In any case, I can't imagine letting the animal remain stuck in the fence. If it was not a legal animal, I'd probably call the PGC and ask for their assistance or permission(which they wouldn't give). This does pose another question, as I almost always have a multi-tool. Where are you on snipping a fence wire that doesn't belong to you in that situation? Does the friendly neighboring owner vs a non-friendly owner impact your decision or likelihood to contact for repair? I'm going to work on the assumption you have permission to hunt the ground you're standing on.

Comment

I'm kind of with JM, though I'm happy with my special regs area unlimited doe tags. If it was a doe I might take it for the freezer depending on size. If I generally would have let it walk, I'd try to free it first. If it was a buck, I'd tend toward freeing it if possible. There's always that 'story' aspect of taking a buck, particularly a good one, and I don't want my story to be it was stuck, so I took advantage of it. In any case, I can't imagine letting the animal remain stuck in the fence. If it was not a legal animal, I'd probably call the PGC and ask for their assistance or permission(which they wouldn't give). This does pose another question, as I almost always have a multi-tool. Where are you on snipping a fence wire that doesn't belong to you in that situation? Does the friendly neighboring owner vs a non-friendly owner impact your decision or likelihood to contact for repair? I'm going to work on the assumption you have permission to hunt the ground you're standing on.

Comment

I agree with you jcarlin on the aspect of the story of shooting a buck. I honestly don't think I would want to shoot a buck of any size that couldn't get away for whatever reason (unless it was injured or something), because it wouldn't seem fair.
              You bring up an interesting point about the fence, and in this case I was hunting on public (county) land, where it is illegal to destroy anything, fences included I'm sure, so I would be hesitant to do anything without contacting the authorities. If I was on private land, I probably would try to contact at least one of the landowners, since in Iowa each landowner is responsible for 50% of the fence, so it doesn't really belong to one or the other individually. In a perfect world, how I acted wouldn't matter whether I liked the neighbor or not, but in reality I've hunted on a few properties where I didn't want to get within shouting distance of the neighbor, so I would be more likely to just repair the fence on my own in that case.

Comment

huntfishtrap,

I didn't mean to imply whether I liked the neighbor or not, I'm pretty easy going, but their attitude towards hunters in general. I'm in SE PA. Even when I'm on public land, even dedicated game lands, you're hard pressed to get more than 400 yards away from some other property line. You'd be amazed at the number of people who buy properties bordering such places then get upset by the knowledge that there are hunters on the adjacent properties. It was the matter of having to deal with those personalities that I was asking if you'd avoid. Part of me looks at all of my interactions with non-hunters as being an opportunity, but "Hey, I just cut your fence to free a deer can go either way." Some might be impressed that you took the time and aren't a bloodthirsty barbarian. Some would be right pissed and outraged. I guess it gets back to the general rule in all things. Do what you think is right and own up to it, you can't predict the opinions of others and you don't look at them in the mirror every morning.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                  -Where I hunt we are allowed unlimited doe tags(which I hate), so if it was a doe stuck in the fence I would probably shoot it and turn it into long-term foods like sausage and jerky and share it with friends and family during the holidays.
                  -Due to only being allowed one buck tag I would first attempt to set it free. I do not think my heart would "let things work themselves out," so if I were unable to free it I would kill it even if it was the first day of the season.
                  Yes indeed. There is no excuse for letting an animal suffer needlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                    Good point about the fence - didn't think of that

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                      Good point about the fence - didn't think of that

Comment

For a legal deer, I have no problem shooting it if it's caught in a fence.

Deer have a swift kick and a buck can gore you with his antlers. Most times, it would be foolish to try and free the animal on your own.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                          by fitch270
                          Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                          09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
                        • Grips and stocks
                          by dewman
                          so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                          09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
                        • Youth pheasant hike
                          by fitch270
                          Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                          09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                        • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                          by fitch270
                          Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                          09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                        • Unusual Sound
                          by jhjimbo
                          At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                          09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X