Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seems like we have hit a rough spot of questions on the site again, so I'm going to try to inspire some thought. My fiancé and I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seems like we have hit a rough spot of questions on the site again, so I'm going to try to inspire some thought. My fiancé and I

Seems like we have hit a rough spot of questions on the site again, so I'm going to try to inspire some thought. My fiancé and I sit on her porch swing, and deer will walk right pass the porch and eat apples that fell on the ground. They do notice us after we make a noise, but they could care less we are there. My question is, how effective is scent control with deer hunting? With all these Dead down Wind and Scent away products, is it all really necessary? It seems it's getting pretty extreme with scent away deodorant and gum. I remember grandpa taking a thermos full of coffee into the woods. Obviously these products weren't around forever, what did your dad's or grandfather's do for scent control, or did they really not care?

Yeah, I've noticed the lack of activity on here lately. Hope the nasty comments from antis on some of the blog posts aren't chasing people off.
    To your question, I do believe some people go overboard with their efforts to be scent-free these days. I never knew my paternal grandfather, and my mother's dad didn't hunt, but my dad has never worried too much about scent control, apart from the obvious step of staying upwind of the deer, and he's never had much trouble getting his game.
    As far as what I do personally, I don't worry too much about trying to eliminate my scent either. I used to wear a full carbon-lined outfit, and sprayed down with scent-killer before every hunt. But in recent years I've kind of gone away from that, mostly from laziness I guess, and I haven't noticed a difference in the way deer act around me. I'm sure some of those products work, at least to some degree, but none of them are a substitute for staying upwind of your quarry, which is what I try to do whenever possible.

Comment

I think it has to due with location and time of year. In places where deer are used to seeing humans I believe they are afraid of sudden movements and sounds more than smells due to becoming familiar with them. I've never been a fan of scent blocker, but while hunting in areas far from human population I have had deer bolt off when the only viable explanation was that they got a whiff of something they were not accustomed to.

Comment

I wash my bow hunting clothes in scent free soap without UV brighteners, but that’s about it. I try to pay attention to the wind and stay out of certain stands when the wind’s not right. I think the proliferation of the scent free craze and many other can’t hunt withouts can be attributed to the growing popularity of “hunting” shows. I have fond memories of my dad hunting cross legged on the ground in jeans and a flannel shirt with his model 94 across his lap. It seems like we ate plenty of venison when we were kids.

Comment

I think the older generations did it more for fun and socializing and now people are more obsessed with tagging a deer. Deer hunting is evolving and it's kinda ridiculous but i'm guilty of getting caught up in it too but I always remember to enjoy myself and the people I'm with and that's what's most important..

Comment

I'm not sure how important it is as long as you factor in the wind direction. I use scent killing sprays but that is it. I do believe they help to some degree.

Comment

I make my own cover scents with almond oil mixed with essential oils like peppermint and pine. I never seem to spook deer away from my stand. I have friends who try all the deer-away suggestions like dog hair and Irish Spring soap, to protect their gardens, but they don't scare deer away either. I think it depends on the deer, area they were raised, and hunting pressure.

Comment

Hi...

My family and myself have never used any kind of scent 'control'. Yet, we are always quite successful in our hunts (usually, anyway!).

Unless you own stock in the companies that manufacture such items...(and those people are laughing all the way to the bank)...I see no reason to use it.

Keep still, be downwind when possible, and be as silent as possible.

Comment

Bow hunters need to be more concerned with scent as they are trying to get the game closer. Rifle and shotgun hunters I have hunted with used to smoke in their stand and they usually got their game.
                  Movement is more important than scent for gun hunters.

Comment

the other day I had a buck walk 10 yards away, with the wind blowing my scent right at him. he never broke stride. all he did was lick his nose once but he didn't look nervous at all. I dont use any scent control either, just the wind.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                      by fitch270
                      Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                      09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
                    • Grips and stocks
                      by dewman
                      so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                      09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
                    • Youth pheasant hike
                      by fitch270
                      Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                      09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                    • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                      by fitch270
                      Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                      09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                    • Unusual Sound
                      by jhjimbo
                      At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                      09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X