Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you go about testing a shotgun that has a bit of rust on it(More detail on first response)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you go about testing a shotgun that has a bit of rust on it(More detail on first response)?

How would you go about testing a shotgun that has a bit of rust on it(More detail on first response)?

-I already have an idea of what I want to do, but I want to hear other opinions before I post it.
    -The gun is a 1970s 12 gauge Wingmaster. On the outside it looks perfect, but due to sitting around for more than a decade a bit of surface
    rust formed on the inside of the barrel and on most of the moving parts(it was not clean when it was put away). After cleaning it all up I am 99% sure it would not have any problems, but I want to make sure.

Comment

If you mean you want to determine whether it will fire and cycle properly, I can't think of a better test than a round of trap. Just clean up the rust as best you can first and give her a go...

Comment

@huntfishtrap,
        -I am focusing more along the lines of safety testing. There was just enough rust on the inside of the barrel that I can't help but be a little bit worried that there might be a bad spot that I can't see.
        -A round of trap sounds like a good way to make sure everything in functioning perfectly after I make sure it is 100% safe to fire.

Comment

JM, place the butt of the gun in an old tire with the barrel pointed in a safe direction. Attach a cord to the trigger, load the shotgun, walk away a safe distance, and give the cord a yank. I'm sure the 870 is okay but better safe than sorry.

Comment

@DSM,
            That was my plan(Didn't think of the tire though). Do you think just one shot would be good enough insurance though or should I put some bigger loads/really fire a few off quickly?

Comment

I agree with DSM, the tire-and-cord is a good safety test for any firearm. Likewise I would think the 870 is okay unless the amount of rust is really nasty, but you can't be too careful when it comes to firearm safety I guess.
              As to your other question, I would fire a few (maybe 4 or 5) of the heaviest shells you plan on using with the gun, in moderately quick succession. If it holds up okay with the heavy loads, you'll be fine.

Comment

@huntfishtrap,
                It would be a gun a friend or family member would use to hunt with when visiting..that is why I am being so cautious.

Comment

As huntfishtrap said use the heaviest loads you are likely to use. Fire several and give the bore a good inspection inside and out.

Comment

After test firing as suggested by these other gents and your still concerned about the safety issue pick up another barrel and feel totally safe then.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Burds
                      by Amflyer
                      Still day, overcast, family gone for a visit for the week. So , hopped in the kayak and did some slow paddlin' to get close to birds....wish I bought...
                      07-28-2021, 09:26 PM
                    • Cabela’s / Bass Pro promo
                      by fitch270
                      This came in the mail a few days ago, at first I wasn’t surprised by it as we haven’t purchased much of anything since the merger. We also canceled...
                      07-26-2021, 08:03 PM
                    • Top three. (3)
                      by FirstBubba
                      We all have our favorites.

First favorite!
                      What is your favorite species of fish to eat?
                      1. my favorite is Pacific cod. clean,...
                      07-25-2021, 09:36 PM
                    • Not a crappy crappie dinner
                      by fitch270
                      The plan was to have a fish fry while camping this weekend even if it meant stooping to smallish bluegills and perch. The goal was for the Kid and I to...
                      07-25-2021, 01:36 PM
                    • Right now
                      by fitch270
                      07-24-2021, 10:45 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X