Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When compared to hunting with a rifle, what disadvantages does a hunter face when hunting deer with a shotgun? Advantages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When compared to hunting with a rifle, what disadvantages does a hunter face when hunting deer with a shotgun? Advantages?

When compared to hunting with a rifle, what disadvantages does a hunter face when hunting deer with a shotgun? Advantages?

Hunting with a shotgun makes you a better hunter. You just can not take those bean field or hill top to hill top shots like you can with a high power rifle.
    Stalk your deer and get up close and personal with that 12ga..
    Ammunition for shotguns has come a long way to since the 'punkin ball' of the '50's and '60's. so the shotgun does reach out somewhat further - but still not like a rifle.

Comment

I would respectfully disagree with JHP's statement that hunting with a shotgun makes you a better hunter. Maybe that's true in some places, but here in Iowa the "Orange Army" that comes out in our 1st and 2nd shotgun seasons has some of the most unethical, dangerous morons in it that I've ever seen in the woods. They often do deer drives with 20, 30, sometimes more people, and most of them think nothing of emptying their gun at a deer running full-out 100 yards away. And then there are the guys who drive back roads shooting at deer out of their trucks, even near houses. Every year there are multiple incidents of these kind of idiots shooting other hunters, buildings, livestock, etc. because they had no idea what was behind their target.
      Before I get every shotgun hunter here mad at me, I know there are many responsible shotgun hunters who never engage in this kind of behavior, and in fact I harvested my first deer with a shotgun. I'm just making the point that picking up a shotgun doesn't automatically make you a better hunter than someone who chooses a rifle or muzzleloader.
      As to JM's original question,I don't think a shotgun has any inherent advantages over a rifle for deer, only disadvantages; that's why they (and muzzleloaders) are the only legal firearms for deer hunting in some states. Disadvantages include shorter range, less accuracy, and heavier recoil in many cases.

Comment

@hft,
        Being as close to the Iowa border as we are I hear quite a few stories about what happens accident wise.
        -As far as the question goes, all I could come up with is the limited range and the long barrel/heavy weight of some shotguns(but some modern rifles are comparable). I don't really buy the limited accuracy part as long as the shot does not surpass the effective range of the gun.

Comment

Yes, the shotgun seasons here in Iowa can be dangerous. I saw a group doing a drive that funneled the deer to the I-35 road ditch in southern Iowa. But there are plenty of good shotgun hunters out there but they don't make the news. Huntfish has a point in that shotgun hunting really doesn't make you a better hunter. Shotgun's are good out to 200 plus yards with some of the Savage and Browning bolt guns.

Comment

I have hunted deer with a shotgun for most of my life. I don't buy the accuracy issue either. The accuracy issue was made up by lazy hunters who don't take the time to test multiple slugs to find out which one matches their gun the best. I shoot 2 3/4" light field hybrid slugs from my H&R super slugger and can hit a quarter every time out to 200 yards. However, the one thing I don't like about shotgun hunting over rifle is the recoil of the shotgun. My H&R kicks like a mule. However, once I pick my shoulder up from the ground and reattach it after the shot, I know with confidence that I can cleanly and safely kill any animal out to 200 yards.

Comment

Everybody ready for the small game seasons that are about to open?
              What are you doing to get ready?

Comment

Accuracy is not an issue shotgun hunting anymore as long as you invest a little time and money in coming up with a good combination. fully rifled barrles with sabots that shoot good out of your gun allow you to take 150 yard shots easily. Shot guns do hit hard, I am not saying rifles do not, but I have not had to track any deer that I shot with a shotgun. I may just be lucky, but I try to limit myself to high percentage shots.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  Hunting with a shotgun makes you a better hunter. You just can not take those bean field or hill top to hill top shots like you can with a high power rifle.
                  Stalk your deer and get up close and personal with that 12ga..
                  Ammunition for shotguns has come a long way to since the 'punkin ball' of the '50's and '60's. so the shotgun does reach out somewhat further - but still not like a rifle.
                  That's a good point Jimbo. Hunting with a shotgun forces you to be a better hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                    @hft,
                    Being as close to the Iowa border as we are I hear quite a few stories about what happens accident wise.
                    -As far as the question goes, all I could come up with is the limited range and the long barrel/heavy weight of some shotguns(but some modern rifles are comparable). I don't really buy the limited accuracy part as long as the shot does not surpass the effective range of the gun.
                    Great point JM. You're right that any discussion of accuracy must also include the distance of the shot.

Comment

Originally posted by pjsabella View Post
                      I have hunted deer with a shotgun for most of my life. I don't buy the accuracy issue either. The accuracy issue was made up by lazy hunters who don't take the time to test multiple slugs to find out which one matches their gun the best. I shoot 2 3/4" light field hybrid slugs from my H&R super slugger and can hit a quarter every time out to 200 yards. However, the one thing I don't like about shotgun hunting over rifle is the recoil of the shotgun. My H&R kicks like a mule. However, once I pick my shoulder up from the ground and reattach it after the shot, I know with confidence that I can cleanly and safely kill any animal out to 200 yards.
                      LOL! Shooting slugs through a H&R is brutal! LimbSaver recoil pads really help.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                        Everybody ready for the small game seasons that are about to open?
                        What are you doing to get ready?
                        Jimbo, I plan to use a suppressor this next season. Perhaps even buy a new rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by buckeye View Post
                          Accuracy is not an issue shotgun hunting anymore as long as you invest a little time and money in coming up with a good combination. fully rifled barrles with sabots that shoot good out of your gun allow you to take 150 yard shots easily. Shot guns do hit hard, I am not saying rifles do not, but I have not had to track any deer that I shot with a shotgun. I may just be lucky, but I try to limit myself to high percentage shots.
                          That's a great point. Deer I've shot with a slug dropped in their tracks!

Comment

When compared to hunting with a rifle, what disadvantages does a hunter face when hunting deer with a shotgun? - DISTANCE and RECOIL

Advantages? - BIG BIG Holes, AND familiarity with the same firearm that may also be used for birds and small game.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                              by dewman
                              Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                              Yesterday, 08:40 AM
                            • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                              by dewman
                              Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                              Yesterday, 07:59 AM
                            • What is taking so long ?
                              by jhjimbo
                              Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
                              09-21-2020, 07:52 PM
                            • Burn cream
                              by CD2
                              Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
                              No longer does.
                              Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
                              Bargain.

Got...
                              09-21-2020, 05:39 PM
                            • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                              by dewman
                              So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                              09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X