Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Turkey hunting so much more fun than deer hunting to you guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Turkey hunting so much more fun than deer hunting to you guys?

Why is Turkey hunting so much more fun than deer hunting to you guys?

Although turkey hunting is fun, I would say it's the other way around for me. Turkey hunting is only 5 days in the spring and the fall, and it overlaps bow season for deer, so there is not much time to hunt them. People might like turkey hunting better because turkeys are far more vocal and it is a game/challenge to bring them in with calls and decoys.

Deer do call to one another though. If someone becomes good at calling deer (with all of the different types (4)), it is possible to call them in. Sometimes its hard to believe calling in deer works because deer don't always call back when they are locating the caller and because of that, people believe there are no deer.
    Basically I think some people find turkey hunting easier because of the interaction between them with calling and the fact that you can locate them from far away by sound.
    I do love turkey hunting and just calling to them but for me, deer hunting is much bigger

Comment

As you mention, for me it's the calling aspect and being able to hear the gobblers over distance. And while I see your point about deer vocalizing, for me the grunts and bleats don't compare to the sounds that gobblers and hens make. Also, here in my state, we get a month and a half for turkeys in the fall and a month in the spring. I also just love being in the woods in the springtime, gathering wild leeks and morels, hearing the birdsong, seeing everything turn green, etc.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
        by jhjimbo
        Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
        09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
      • Spur of the moment rifle
        by Amflyer
        I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
        09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
      • The $20 Shooting Shack
        by fitch270
        So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
        09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
      • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
        by dewman
        one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
        09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
      • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
        by dewman
        So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
        09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X