Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone doing any ground hog hunting, if so how is it going. Whats your favorite caliber and optic for the job.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone doing any ground hog hunting, if so how is it going. Whats your favorite caliber and optic for the job.

Anyone doing any ground hog hunting, if so how is it going. Whats your favorite caliber and optic for the job.

Hi...

Optics? You're kidding me! Just the good old open- sighted .22, or the good old .30 cal. M-1 Carbine with peep sights (good to 300-yards)...!!

Comment

Thats some good shooting Bob. I can do the 22lr but no semi centerfires in my state. I like my 22-250 with a 6-18 nikon for the far shots.

Comment

Does wild hog taste anything like domestic pig? I'm guessing there is some gamey flavor to it if the meats not spiced up?

Comment

Wild hog tastes like very lean domestic pork, maybe a little tougher due to lifestyle. Eat the ones under 150 lbs. Not gamey at all.

Comment

We don't have very many ground hogs in my part of the country (Iowa), due to the high coyote population, so I don't hunt 'em very much. When I do I use my Marlin .22 Magnum with a Simmons 3-9x40 on top; with the right load and a solid rest it's deadly out to 125 yards.
            @MNwhitetailHunter, just out of curiosity, you do know that ground hogs are not the same as wild hogs, right?

Comment

Hi...

25-06 guy. Thanks...but premature. I didn't mean to imply that I was taking 'chucks from that distance...only that it was accurate to that distance.

I did, however, get a deer at that distance with the Carbine.

A 'chuck at that distance would probably be completely covered by the front sight with the M-1, and would indeed be a "hard" shot...!!

Comment

Unless i'm mistaken, groundhogs are woodchucks/rodents. Wild hogs/boars were imported from Europe and are hunted in the US and not raised on a farm.

Comment

guess i just forgot what the question was..

Comment

guess i just forgot what the question was..

Comment

There was a period of too much heat and rain, things are getting back to 'normal' The Remington 700 22-250
                      with Burris 6X24 is ready to go.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                        by jhjimbo
                        If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                        Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                      • Pay it forward
                        by fitch270
                        I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                        10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                      • Reloading Gear Order
                        by fitch270
                        I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                        10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                      • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                        by dewman
                        Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                        10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                      • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                        by Ernie
                        Any handgun hunters here?
                        Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                        10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X