Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas on how to keep deer out of gardens? Other than a 8 ft high fence.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas on how to keep deer out of gardens? Other than a 8 ft high fence.

Any ideas on how to keep deer out of gardens? Other than a 8 ft high fence.

Try a string with some soda cans with small rocks in it, and ring your garden at about the height of the deer's chest. Works in some places if they aren't too bold don't seem to like the feel of the string or the noise when they bump it.

Comment

An electric fence works well for a friend of mine.

Comment

A nine foot high fence? I've heard that if you go to the barber shop and get a bunch of human hair and sprinkle it around, the deer will stay away. You have to freshen it up every couple of days.

Comment

A good, two or three strand electric fence, or shooting them (when and where legal) are about the only good solutions I know of.

Comment

The hair thing actually does work. Although I ran out of hair in 1998. Very sad.

Comment

So, here's a little trick/tactic I've used in the past that seemed to work like a charm albeit not for an entire growing season. Take your deer decoy or 3D deer target and put it in your garden. As we know, deer are territorial and the sight of another deer already in your garden should dissuade them--at least for a while. I used a bedded doe decoy with great success. I would move the deke every week or so.

Comment

A little piece of lead right behind the ear.

Comment

Labradors love to chase deer. You'll get a friend, a guard and a lifetime of memories. And maybe more produce from your garden, Labs don't like veggies.

Comment

MO Marine - That may be generally true about Labs and vegetables, but it's not always the case - we have an 11-year-old Lab who absolutely loves veggies. Carrots, cabbage, corn, beets; you name it, she loves it. We used to let her into the garden at night to run off the coons that were raiding the sweet corn, until we discovered that she was doing more damage than the coons!

Comment

We used to play a radio loud with ROCK MUSIC in the garden to keep out coons and deer. A 5 gallon bucket on it's side with a radio in it kept the radio dry in the rain. Today, I suppose RAP Music might work even better. Classical music didn't work as well. Today my dogs seem to work the best. I have invisible fence that only allows them to the garden's edge because they love eating corn and melons.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                        by jhjimbo
                        Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                        09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                      • Spur of the moment rifle
                        by Amflyer
                        I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                        09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                      • The $20 Shooting Shack
                        by fitch270
                        So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                        09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                      • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                        by dewman
                        one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                        09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                      • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                        by dewman
                        So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                        09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X