Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What causes a deer hunter to turn into a trophy hunter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What causes a deer hunter to turn into a trophy hunter?

What causes a deer hunter to turn into a trophy hunter?

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me personally, it was when shooting younger deer became too "easy". Age is a much bigger deciding factor than antler size when judging deer for me.

Comment

I think hunters go through a cycle. Get a deer, any deer when starting out and that evolves into getting a wall hanger, and then, finally, back to getting a deer for the freezer. Hunters stay in the various parts of the cycle differing amounts of time and place different importance on success in the various parts of the cycle.

Comment

A trophy hunter is still a deer hunter, just a different type. I'm not a trophy hunter though, so I can't answer why it would be appealing.

Comment

My trophy is the meat and pictures. The meat is welcomed by my body and spirit, my pictures make me smile, but my antlers collect dust and stay in the garage.

Comment

My trophy is the meat and pictures. The meat is welcomed by my body and spirit, my pictures make me smile, but my antlers collect dust and stay in the garage.

Comment

No idea for the double post?

Comment

A trophy hunter is a hunter who has developed half way on their journey to being a complete hunter.
                There are 5 stages a hunter passes thru-
                Shooter stage
                Limiting out
                Trophy
                Method
                Sportsman
                Not everyone goes thru each stage and most move back and forth between each stage.
                To be brutally honest- For me the trophy phase was pure ego and it was coupled with limiting out; this kept me hunting all over the country for the biggest deer I could find. It was fun, filled my walls and the pole barn has more racks in boxes than I know what to do with.
                Now I'm in the Method/Sportsman stages leaning more sportsman each season.
                I don't know what the time frame is to reach the full sportsman stage. Last season marked my 50th and I still have not arrived.
                later,
                charlie

Comment

I used to shoot any size antlered buck that had five points on up. I went to Saskatchewan, Canada deer hunting five different years and seem many bucks with large headgear. I passed up eight and ten pointer bucks that were over two hundred pounds. I even harvest a few huge Canada bucks that make my New Jersey bucks look like small fries. Now I don't shoot small bucks anymore in my home state.

Blame it on Saskatchewan, Canada!

Comment

Hi...

Trophy hunting is for would-be "macho men" (size matters)...!!.

Comment

I went through this this past season. I've been a Marine now for almost 16 years in which I got away from Deer Hunting...until the last two years. I started out yearning to just make an Archery Kill. Shoot, track, tag was the goal. Several stormy late evenings while tracking deer through swamp put the stop to my archery season. I simply could not bring myself to shoot another deer until rifle season. It hurt my soul not finding those animals, yes 2 good shots and blood trails that faded into nothing. I quickly changed tactics and gear and refocused on the experience. That's what it's really about. Sharing the heritage with my son, and at the same time spending more time learning about the Mysterious whitetail. My thing is not being seen, smelled, or heard. I silently pursue them, I leave nothing behind. I take a lot of pride in being an invisible hunter. To not disturb them, to never be snorted at, never be winded, never be seen. I'm teaching these things to my son now who is 8. Someday I may become a trophy hunter, and that day will be a great day by hard work and some luck. And hopefully it will be my son that releases the arrow or squeezes the trigger on a trophy. Happiness truly comes from sharing the experience. I hope to do that with my son, just as my father did with me.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                        A trophy hunter is still a deer hunter, just a different type. I'm not a trophy hunter though, so I can't answer why it would be appealing.
                        Same here, I'm not a trophy hunter either.

Comment

Originally posted by makenziesch View Post
                          Exactly! I also take pictures of my hunts.

Comment

Comment

No idea for the double post?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Lost some cover; pic heavy
                                by fitch270
                                ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                                Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              • Covid-19
                                by jhjimbo
                                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                              • Spur of the moment rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                              • The $20 Shooting Shack
                                by fitch270
                                So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                                09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                              • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                                by dewman
                                one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                                09-15-2020, 08:42 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X