Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you consider to be the biggest mistake you have ever made while fishing or hunting? Most regrettable moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you consider to be the biggest mistake you have ever made while fishing or hunting? Most regrettable moment?

What do you consider to be the biggest mistake you have ever made while fishing or hunting? Most regrettable moment?

For fishing, I should have shut up more and listened to my Grandfather teach me how to correctly; I still suck at fishing. As for hunting, I wish I didn't wait till I was 18 to start.

Comment

This might sound odd, but I don't have a whole lot of regrets regarding my hunting and fishing. I consider mistakes to be part of the learning process, because let's face it, you can't learn without making them (although I admit, it's easy to lose sight of that fact when you make a big screw-up!).
      Actually, maybe my biggest hunting-related regret is finding a 9 1/2 year old buck that my brother and I had been hunting for 5 years on public land dead of another hunter's arrow wound last fall. I know the other guy had as much right to shoot him as we did, but an old king of the woods like that buck deserved better than to rot because some yahoo didn't trail him correctly (the chest portion of the carcass was still fairly intact, and we could see the wound - a solid chest hit, with no excuse for not finding the deer if they had followed proper trailing procedures).
      What's your biggest mistake/regret JM?

Comment

On Monday the first day of my rifle deer hunt while inside a ground blind in Saskatchewan, Canada, I passed up on the same ten point buck in the morning and again in the afternoon. I took many still pictures and I even video that buck. A West Virginia hunter in my guided camp harvest that same buck a mile away and the buck scored 146. The antler points were all symmetrical. I was hunting for something bigger. The rest of the week I saw nothing even close to that size of the ten point buck I passed up twice.
        Those photos and the video of that live ten point hundred yards away standing board side still haunts me to this day.

Comment

last deer season a spike buck was about 20 yards out and was going down a little bit of a hill so I put the red dot on it back pulled back the trigger and it dropped and was scrambling around on the ground and while it was doin that about five seconds after I shot at it it got right back up and went running away. we went down to try to track it but there was no blood to follow. ( I wish I should have sighted that in myself) I didn't make that mistake on the coyote I shot that winter and put two shots right in a row.

Comment

Oops...I thought I answered right when i posted the question; I guess that filter went unnoticed. My biggest mistake would be falling out of a tree stand and injuring myself pretty badly. My biggest regret would be from when I was younger. I shot at a doe, but at the time I felt positive that it was a clean miss. I was so frustrated I got up and left without checking for blood. When my grandfather heard word of me doing this he told me to go back and look but I had forgotten exactly where I was(again, I was young). I play it through my head all the time hoping that I did not hit that deer.

Comment

I shot a ineligible young buck by mistake when I first started hunting. Managed to get it home without being caught.
              Once I shot a deer and got it plus the one I did not see standing behind it. Not much I could do about that except learn from the experience.

Comment

Lucky to still be in one piece from that fall JM considering you had a gun/knife with you as well(unless i'm wrong about the outcome ). Were you able to make it back to camp/home after falling? One mistake i regret is falling asleep while i was shivering pretty bad in my stand. Woke up hours after I dozed off and my core body was dangerously cold! Plus I had a small headache and was a little disorientated when i woke. I hope thats the closest I ever come to hypothermia.

Comment

MNwhitetailHunter,
                  I was in one piece but I can't say the same for all of my bones. Luckily it was a stand that was pretty close to the house so I was able to slowly work my way back to the house where I sat in front of the stove and warmed up(this was around the time when I realized what my injuries actually were/started to feel them).

Comment

Biggest mistake? Too many tied for first place.

Biggest regret? I'm going to keep that to myself---not a day goes by that I don't get more ashamed of my actions that day.

Comment

YEARS ago fort knox had a wild dog problem,and area guides requested if encountered them try to destroy.Traveling down a range road we spotted two dogs cross in front of my brother and I joining what looked like a few others in the brush .ANXIOUS TO SHOOT AND capable with pump slug guns,we started our stalk to the dogs weaving in and out of the brush.Just as we were about to open up, two young boys stood up out of the grass where they had been hiding.TRAGEDY ? No , but close.

Comment

Shooting at a turkey too far away....Sold the shotgun ( 870 wingmaster fixed MOD choke)a few hours later and bought a 870 express 3 inch with super full turkey choke. Found the pile of feathers the next day 200 yards away. At least the coyote had a turkey for Thanksgiving. The most hateful thing in the world is an injured animal you cant find.

Comment

Originally posted by officerdom1987 View Post
                          For fishing, I should have shut up more and listened to my Grandfather teach me how to correctly; I still suck at fishing. As for hunting, I wish I didn't wait till I was 18 to start.
                          Ditto about not listening to learn more from my father. Fortunately, he's still able to fish at 84. I need to take him fishing soon. Thanks for the reminder!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                            On Monday the first day of my rifle deer hunt while inside a ground blind in Saskatchewan, Canada, I passed up on the same ten point buck in the morning and again in the afternoon. I took many still pictures and I even video that buck. A West Virginia hunter in my guided camp harvest that same buck a mile away and the buck scored 146. The antler points were all symmetrical. I was hunting for something bigger. The rest of the week I saw nothing even close to that size of the ten point buck I passed up twice.
                            Those photos and the video of that live ten point hundred yards away standing board side still haunts me to this day.
                            Yep, you should have shot it.

Comment

Originally posted by blake g View Post
                              last deer season a spike buck was about 20 yards out and was going down a little bit of a hill so I put the red dot on it back pulled back the trigger and it dropped and was scrambling around on the ground and while it was doin that about five seconds after I shot at it it got right back up and went running away. we went down to try to track it but there was no blood to follow. ( I wish I should have sighted that in myself) I didn't make that mistake on the coyote I shot that winter and put two shots right in a row.
                              That's indeed frustrating. The same happened to the first deer PigHuntress shot.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                                by fitch270
                                Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                                Today, 08:27 PM
                              • Unusual Sound
                                by jhjimbo
                                At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                                Today, 02:17 PM
                              • bedding on new rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                                Today, 12:22 AM
                              • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                                by fitch270
                                Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                                Yesterday, 08:57 PM
                              • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                                by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                                09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X