Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets keep stirring this pot a bit more. On an average,and everyone's different,but considering hunter numbers, what does a pound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets keep stirring this pot a bit more. On an average,and everyone's different,but considering hunter numbers, what does a pound

Lets keep stirring this pot a bit more. On an average,and everyone's different,but considering hunter numbers, what does a pound of venison cost ? A 100.lb field dressed doe is reduced 40%.NOW figure your license fees,weapon ,ammunition ,4x4 truck,land leases, out of town motel rates or r.v , money and productivity lost at work, the list goes on and on .Sure there is going to be exceptions,but the point is so called meat hunters actually lose money hunting.So deer( hunting) is a sport, with a low return of cost per pound of venison .TO keep it a sport, lets call our shots before the hunt,just like billiards.You prefer button bucks? Two big doe?One of each?There's no one but you to decide what fits your hunting cadre, or hunting populations where you hunt.As my white tail hunting career nears it's finish I often wonder if todays hunter is after quality of the hunt, or just numbers of game animals to be taken?

I pay way less for the venison(money wise) than what I would spend buying the equivalent weight of beef.

Comment

You're right when you say that everyone's different, but in general, true "meat hunters" are not going to be spending money on land leases, because they usually either hunt private land with permission or on public land, and they don't travel far to hunt, so scratch the motel and r.v. money off your list. They also don't shoot high-dollar guns and ammo, and most of them I know only shoot once a year - when sighting in before the season. They also don't take much if any time off work, hunting on weekends and holidays, so they don't actually lose much money on that front.
      I obviously can't speak for anyone but myself, but my point is that "meat hunters" are different than you, and you shouldn't make assumptions about what other people can or can't do based on what you do yourself.

Comment

If we aren't teaching young folks about the quality of the experience and only to get as much game as possible then we are losing the battle. It does bother me that when I first hunted I learned on small game and upland birds. Now it seems like all the young folks start out deer hunting first and never understand the joy of hunting squirrels, rabbits, and such. You can learn a lot in the squirrel woods. My two cents worth.

Comment

All I know is I'm a working stiff & having a freezer full of venison does take a nice chunk out of my grocery bill. Gas prices, etc. be darned!

Comment

i agree with huntfishtrap, it varies with stuff like that but also with game limits. For example, our 601 zone offers unlimited doe tags; which i'm guessing is 17$ a tag? I'm sure that the price of a tag is way cheaper than buying a few steaks. People around 601 can bow hunt pretty close to home which also reduces the cost of a deer. As for me, just shooting a deer is a bonus.

Comment

I guess I can still call myself young (29), and for me it is still all about the experience. Sure, I like to stock the freezer, but, honestly, I feel closer to my maker every time I am in the woods or on the water. I do have rules: no unethical shots, no young bucks, etc. Fortunately I will be home for this hunting season, and I have a four-year-old who wants to go hunting with his daddy. He is the next generation of hunter and I will try to teach him as best I can.

Comment

I agree with JM. If I figure an average return of 50lbs per deer and assume it costs even $6 a pound for the combined ground and cuts produced, and you could probably argue as high as $9, then say you're looking at $300 to $450 per deer. I hunt with a bow I purchased used for $200 and a Savage rifle with Nikon Buckmaster that cost about $500 total. The rifle and bow pay for their initial cost in 2-3 deer, and have. Now on the other side every year I spend at least $250 dollars in hunting specific products. Some years more, but outside of expendables like license/ammo/arrows/scent products my gear has been pretty squared away for a while. A lot of it, such as the clothing, gets used fishing, hiking, camping.. you get the idea. Generally I'm hunting close to home and butcher my own. This was the case for two of the three deer I was unusually fortunate enough to take last year and the third was still in state. To my way of thinking, being outdoors and spending the time in the woods is the sanity saving hobby aspect. Marksmanship as I have no professional need, is a hobby and a useful skill that all should know. The meat aspect of it represents the hard work, the reward, the satisfaction, the tie to our roots and the land, and it more than offsets the tangible costs in a successful year. An empty freezer is a strong motivation to get up and out at 0h-dark-thirty on other years and experience the dawn in all types of weather, the joy of being out when the woods wake up around you, the satisfaction of sticking out a tough and sometimes wearying, bone chilling day. Looking at it from an accounting perspective the meat is worth the resources and effort, from a psychological perspective the meat is priceless.

Comment

Being a meat hunter doesn't necessarily mean the individual is hunting for subsistence. In some cases sure a person may hunt to help fill a freezer, but in other cases a person is a meat hunter whom for no other reason than they enjoy wild game, also place no value on the trophy quality of an animal. The trophy doesn't matter to many, (depending on what I'm after it doesn't matter to me, if I get a trophy, bonus if not so be it.)for others it's a big deal. I'm not going to pass on a big deer or bear(unless it's got cubs), but I'm perfectly fine with taking the first legal one that I can get a clean shot on so I can keep hunting other species while the season is over lapping. I eat what I drop, but I place minimal value on a trophy, I do not hunt for subsistence, but because I like too, does that make me a meat hunter? I would say so.

Comment

Bullets $30/box,Rifle $600, Truck $30,000,40 acres for deer hunting $120,000, spending deer season with family and friends, priceless. If we get a deer that is a bonus.

Comment

JM is correct. Way less. Why look at the negatives 6phunter? Take a look at the positives. Many meat hunters make money off of it. Leasing the land, selling land, selling old equipment, etc. It works the other way too.

Comment

Hunting is more about the enjoyment of the sport then it is about making a profit. What profit does a mountain skier get or someone who shoots the rapids in a canoe?

Comment

SCHAMANKENZIE, There are exceptions,and JM may very well be just that,but the subject is averages.There are no negatives , just facts.The cost outweigh the benefits if we just look at the cost per pound value.THIS brings us back to the point that when someone says they hunt to fill freezers doesn't hold water compared to the cost,on AVERAGE.The last post LOVESOUTDOORS is valid.IT'S not about the cost it's the enjoyment we fulfill in a hunt.The meat we get just helps offset the cost.I can harvest deer from the backdoor but I don't think this is average for most hunters,and the fact that I hunt widespread areas as a trophy hunter is not average either. Now stay with me SCHMANKENZIE, don't get sidetracked or lost,the point being driven is since it's established that we hunt for fun, why shoot the little ones?

Comment

Not into big game hunting, of which I include deer, but hunt squirrel and rabbit when I can and the opportunity arises. The time in the woods or by the water, with my grandson with no distractions around, is to me, as I get older and more infirmed, is beyond a price tag. He has ADD and hunting and fishing are too activities that catch and keep his attention over a long period of time. I realize I may be in the minority here, but the time spent with him is worth every penny.

Comment

6phunter, I know your last point wasn't directed at me, but I had to chime in anyway. You say "...the point being driven is since it's established that we hunt for fun, why shoot the little ones?"
                              To that I would say, why not? I personally don't shoot young bucks either, but why can't little deer, bucks or does, be just as exciting for some hunters to shoot as Old Mossyhorns? I think you're operating under the assumption that everyone shares your love of big antlers, but let me tell you that that isn't the case at all - many hunters I've met don't give a hoot about big antlers.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                                by fitch270
                                Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                                09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
                              • Grips and stocks
                                by dewman
                                so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                                09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
                              • Youth pheasant hike
                                by fitch270
                                Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                                09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                              • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                                by fitch270
                                Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                                09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                              • Unusual Sound
                                by jhjimbo
                                At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                                09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X