Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LOL ,IF my questions made you think < then it's purpose has been served.IF your not a novice or a youth hunter do you feel lik

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LOL ,IF my questions made you think < then it's purpose has been served.IF your not a novice or a youth hunter do you feel lik

    LOL ,IF my questions made you think < then it's purpose has been served.IF your not a novice or a youth hunter do you feel like you been short changed if you buy a tag and go home empty handed ?AS a veteran sportsman you get used to this circumstance early and often.As a trophy hunter it's just part of the territory.I realize not every one has the time to hunt 60 to 80 days deer hunting each season, or the passion .Sure I'm hunting a completely different mind set than most hunters,but it's not really the antlers or the meat,it's the hunt.TO me the term (I'M just a meat hunter) really means is if it's brown it's down.That's not hunting ,it's oppourtunism.Like I stated earlier for beginners this is great.I can't begin to count the beginners I'VE started and the congrats that followed.How many professed meat hunters would pass on a fat doe to take a shot at old mossyhorns traveling with her?Not many, and after taking forks, spikes and button bucks they wonder why they never see a mature buck?

  • #2
    I guess I disagree with your premise that "meat hunting" is opportunism, and thus fundamentally wrong. So what if it's opportunistic - if they truly are "meat hunters", then chances are they truly need the meat, and thus nobody should begrudge them the chance to fill their freezer with any legal animal.
    I also think you said it best yourself when you wrote: "I realize not every one has the time to hunt 60 to 80 days deer hunting each season, or the passion .Sure I'm hunting a completely different mind set than most hunters,but it's not really the antlers or the meat,it's the hunt." My answer to that would be, why does everyone else have to hunt by your rules? Maybe the hunt for a young buck or doe is just as intense and fulfilling for other hunters as the hunt for a big, mature buck is to you, have you ever thought of that?
    And my final point is this, if it truly is not about the antlers or the meat for you, but rather the hunt itself, why do you make such a big deal about managing the herd for big, mature bucks?

    Comment


    • #3
      Huntfishtrap nailed it, so I’m not even going to try to add to what he stated so very well. I will share this little anecdote: I had several encounters with a nice buck from my bow stand last season. He was a great deer, yet I passed on him each time because I chose to hold out for one that was bigger. (A bigger one never came, so my buck tag went unfilled.) My nephew shot him during late muzzle loader season. Did that bother me? Absolutely not, because I am not an elitist who thinks every deer is mine and should be left for “Trophy hunters”. We are all out playing the same game, no matter where our passions lie. Snobbery and condescension is becoming rampant in hunting and it will soon become our downfall.

      Comment


      • #4
        In case you did not know, genes do not change. A second year buck will pass on the same genes as it would if it grew to be a mature deer with 200 inches of antler. You need to realize that for many hunters it is not "when" they see a deer, it is "if" they see a deer. I don't understand why you want to belittle someone who shoots a legal deer that they purchased a tag for.

        Comment


        • #5
          I fail to see how taking a spike or crotch horn is not hunting. Anyone, be it the oldest or the youngest of the group who goes out and puts the time in and drops a yearling or a mature buck is hunting. Every time you get the chance to pull the trigger, that is the opportunity. You can either let it pass you by, or you seize it and start getting to the hard part of the hunt. The last deer I shot was a button, I see nothing wrong with that, nor did the guys that were there(whom most had shot some trophy deer as well as smaller deer that season). I only had a couple hours after bear hunting for a day or two and had my chance and I took the first and only chance I had. That deer ate better than the bigger one I'd shot before I went bear hunting. For me that chance was the hunt, I don't know when my circumstances will allow me the time or the funds to hunt in another state again, it was a great experience in an entirely different setting with an entirely different group of people, and my first hunting trip in another state.

          Comment


          • #6
            I guess I would say each to their own. Most people I know can't take that kind of time away from work to hunt 60 to 80 days a year. It doesn't make them any less of hunter or you a better hunter. I've shot my share of big deer over the years and I don't shoot fork horns but if a fat mature doe gets to close and offers an easy shot I will be filling my tag.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DSMbirddog View Post
              I guess I would say each to their own. Most people I know can't take that kind of time away from work to hunt 60 to 80 days a year. It doesn't make them any less of hunter or you a better hunter. I've shot my share of big deer over the years and I don't shoot fork horns but if a fat mature doe gets to close and offers an easy shot I will be filling my tag.
              Exactly!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Derik Lee View Post
                I fail to see how taking a spike or crotch horn is not hunting. Anyone, be it the oldest or the youngest of the group who goes out and puts the time in and drops a yearling or a mature buck is hunting. Every time you get the chance to pull the trigger, that is the opportunity. You can either let it pass you by, or you seize it and start getting to the hard part of the hunt. The last deer I shot was a button, I see nothing wrong with that, nor did the guys that were there(whom most had shot some trophy deer as well as smaller deer that season). I only had a couple hours after bear hunting for a day or two and had my chance and I took the first and only chance I had. That deer ate better than the bigger one I'd shot before I went bear hunting. For me that chance was the hunt, I don't know when my circumstances will allow me the time or the funds to hunt in another state again, it was a great experience in an entirely different setting with an entirely different group of people, and my first hunting trip in another state.
                Every deer I got this past season were younger. The two does from my yard were part of my own brand of thinning the herd. There's too many in this residential neighborhood and so I take a couple every year to help.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Every deer I got this past season were younger. Two does from my yard were part of my own brand of thinning the herd. There's too many in this residential neighborhood, so I take a couple every year to help. The excess meat is distributed to non-hunting family and friends.
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JM View Post
                    In case you did not know, genes do not change. A second year buck will pass on the same genes as it would if it grew to be a mature deer with 200 inches of antler. You need to realize that for many hunters it is not "when" they see a deer, it is "if" they see a deer. I don't understand why you want to belittle someone who shoots a legal deer that they purchased a tag for.
                    I'm with you JM on this. There's no need to belittle other legal hunters.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
                      Huntfishtrap nailed it, so I’m not even going to try to add to what he stated so very well. I will share this little anecdote: I had several encounters with a nice buck from my bow stand last season. He was a great deer, yet I passed on him each time because I chose to hold out for one that was bigger. (A bigger one never came, so my buck tag went unfilled.) My nephew shot him during late muzzle loader season. Did that bother me? Absolutely not, because I am not an elitist who thinks every deer is mine and should be left for “Trophy hunters”. We are all out playing the same game, no matter where our passions lie. Snobbery and condescension is becoming rampant in hunting and it will soon become our downfall.
                      I agree with you and think there is too much emphasis being placed on antlers.

                      Comment

                      Welcome!

                      Collapse

                      Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                      If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                      And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                      Right Rail 1 Ad

                      Collapse

                      Top Active Users

                      Collapse

                      There are no top active users.

                      Right Rail 2 Ad

                      Collapse

                      Latest Topics

                      Collapse

                      • bedding on new rifle
                        by Amflyer
                        Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                        Today, 12:22 AM
                      • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                        by fitch270
                        Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                        ...
                        Yesterday, 08:57 PM
                      • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                        by fitch270




                        The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                        09-23-2020, 07:43 PM
                      • Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                        by dewman
                        Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                        09-22-2020, 08:40 AM
                      • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                        by dewman
                        Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                        09-22-2020, 07:59 AM

                      Right Rail 3 Ad

                      Collapse

                      Footer Ad Widget

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X