Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you tell the difference? Like deer tracks it's hard to determine the sex of a deer,large single set of tracks probably

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you tell the difference? Like deer tracks it's hard to determine the sex of a deer,large single set of tracks probably

How do you tell the difference? Like deer tracks it's hard to determine the sex of a deer,large single set of tracks probably is a buck, while numerous sets large and small suggest a doe group.In the fall of the year button bucks are often driven or choose to leave these groups to discover their own territory. The young doe will remain with doe groups when it's her mother's time to breed. Now is when the button buck travels alone without the help of herd instincts to protect him. He's lost in a new area often walking trails bleating for some type of contact.Young and pretty much an easy target,given a few years and the table will turn to his advantage.SURE , without visible antlers he's legal to take, so are the young doe in the female groups.So the real question is, are you a real steward of the game animals you hunt, or just out to fill your tags ?

What's your point 6phunter? I might (and do) agree with you about not taking young bucks, but the fact is deer are out there for ALL hunters to pursue as they see fit (within the boundaries of the law, of course), and neither you nor I have any right to tell another hunter what or what not to shoot, as long as what they're doing is legal.

Comment

I will pass on yearlings, buck or doe and am very selective in terms of what I do shoot. Every year I leave more tags in my pocket than I fill. That is what is right for me to do and I am satisfied with that. However, I will not begrudge anyone for any legal choices they make.

Comment

"So the real question is, are you a real steward of the game animals you hunt, or just out to fill your tags?"
        -Why can't it be both, and why does taking a button buck or young doe negate either one? Seems to me like you value antlers more than the animal itself.

Comment

I hope you're wearing a safety harness up on that high horse, 6phunter.

Comment

Your question seems more like a rant. As for the deer people choose to take...where I come from people hunt to eat, people hunt to teach and pass on the tradition, and people hunt to take large bucks. The answer to your question is all relative to the area and whether or not it is private or public. Ideally no one would ever shoot a buck less than 8 points beyond the ears. Unless the herd balance is out of whack. Then you have to consider what the goal for that area is. We hunt for many different reasons and that's what makes it an experience instead of a killing thing. In a perfect world right?

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
              I will pass on yearlings, buck or doe and am very selective in terms of what I do shoot. Every year I leave more tags in my pocket than I fill. That is what is right for me to do and I am satisfied with that. However, I will not begrudge anyone for any legal choices they make.
              In Alabama we can take one doe per day from mid October through early February. But are limited to only three buck with one of those required to have at least 4 points on one side. So, we always have unfilled 'tags'.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                "So the real question is, are you a real steward of the game animals you hunt, or just out to fill your tags?"
                -Why can't it be both, and why does taking a button buck or young doe negate either one? Seems to me like you value antlers more than the animal itself.
                Good point. I can't eat antlers but want plenty of deer. So, thinning the bucks makes more sense than shooting does.

Comment

Originally posted by Camohat View Post
                  I hope you're wearing a safety harness up on that high horse, 6phunter.
                  LOL!

Comment

Like I said in response to JM, I can't eat antlers but want plenty of deer. So, thinning the bucks makes more sense than shooting does.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget