Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if you hunted an area thourouhly all season long and finally you have an oppourtunity to take a young buck or a doe.would you sh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if you hunted an area thourouhly all season long and finally you have an oppourtunity to take a young buck or a doe.would you sh

if you hunted an area thourouhly all season long and finally you have an oppourtunity to take a young buck or a doe.would you shoot it ?obviously this herd is in trouble,and no seriour trophy hunter would even consider this option.As a veteran trophy hunter w/50 years experience I'VE WITNESSED what the average meat hunter takes from the field. generally spike bucks top the list.years ago when the white tail were first being reintroduced you hunted for deer. nowdays there are an abundance of them.Im happy for any young hunter or novice that happens to take any deer regardless of sex or age .AS deer hunters though we need to be selective hunters though, unfortunately thats not the case.Sometimes in over populated areas greater numbers of doe deer taken is desireable.HARVESTING YOUNG BUCKS BY MATURE HUNTERS,to me is a sign of greed ,incompetence and ignorance. Why not put a premium on buck tags to help protect them so we all have a chance to fulfill our dreams and not just the back of our pickup trucks ?

I do not know if a different tag is necessary. Information and education for young and old hunters like you are doing here should be enough.

Comment

Are there no antler point restrictions where you live 6phunter? Here in Missouri, a buck must have at least 4 points on one side or else it is illegal. The only time a buck with less than 4 points may be shot is during youth season(no restrictions).

Comment

I could care less about a trophy buck at this juncture in my life. That's not to say I wouldn't be excited to get a wall hanger, but I'm only allowed one per season up here and where I hunt they are scarce. I'll take a sure thing for the freezer over passing on one and not seeing another buck all season. Now we get into some big brook trout and that's a whole different story.
        On a side note my father holds out for a bigger deer every year these days, he's been on a dry spell for a number of years, but as long as a couple of us can put one up on the gambrels he doesn't have to worry about passing on a young buck.

Comment

I think in the scenario you've presented, with a deer herd in trouble due to a lack of selective hunting, putting higher restrictions on the harvest of bucks could actually hurt the overall herd, since it could lead to a much higher doe harvest, which isn't desirable except in overpopulated areas. I also disagree with your statement that the most common deer take by meat hunters are spike bucks. Maybe my area (Iowa) is different from yours, but I have not seen that here.

Comment

Dang 6P, Kentucky only allows one antlered buck. Alabama only allows three and one of those has to have 8 points. If a hunter can legally kill it then there should not be a higher cost. Can't eat antlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Derik Lee View Post
              I could care less about a trophy buck at this juncture in my life. That's not to say I wouldn't be excited to get a wall hanger, but I'm only allowed one per season up here and where I hunt they are scarce. I'll take a sure thing for the freezer over passing on one and not seeing another buck all season. Now we get into some big brook trout and that's a whole different story.
              On a side note my father holds out for a bigger deer every year these days, he's been on a dry spell for a number of years, but as long as a couple of us can put one up on the gambrels he doesn't have to worry about passing on a young buck.
              Totally agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                I do not know if a different tag is necessary. Information and education for young and old hunters like you are doing here should be enough.
                Yep, let's not complicate it more than necessary.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                  by jhjimbo
                  If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                  Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                • Pay it forward
                  by fitch270
                  I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                  10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                • Reloading Gear Order
                  by fitch270
                  I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                  10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                  by dewman
                  Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                  10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                  by Ernie
                  Any handgun hunters here?
                  Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                  10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X