Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where I patrol has one area that is heavily wooded. Along the roadside is a very tiny fawn that continuously has trouble getting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where I patrol has one area that is heavily wooded. Along the roadside is a very tiny fawn that continuously has trouble getting

Where I patrol has one area that is heavily wooded. Along the roadside is a very tiny fawn that continuously has trouble getting to his feet to walk and when he does, its wobbly.If you stop to watch him he just lays down like a dog and doesn't move as mother doe watches on very angrily. We've received numerous calls it's injured and requesting it get put down, which has not happened yet. This has been going on for a few weeks now and he is staying within a block radius or so. Does it take a certain amount of time for this little one to get his footing? Is it normal for them to lie there in fear at that age? Any advice before the drastic has to take place is much appreciated!!

Fawns can learn how to walk within 30 minutes of being born, so it is either injured or not being fed(no strength)...check and see if there are any wildlife rehabs around where you live that could possible try taking care of it.

Comment

The fawn's Mom is there so I see no reason to put him down. Newly born fawns do not have a lot stamina the first couple of weeks and frequently appear "wobbly". Like any baby they spend a lot time napping between feedings keeping them within yards of where they were born. Even if the fawn is injured it will likely heal quickly.
      Take some pics and enjoy the opportunity to watch.
      later,
      charlie

Comment

Maybe mom would feed him more frequently if people would leave them both alone. People with the best of intentions often do more harm than good.

Comment

@sangcoacc: I agree completely. One complainant said they wanted to try picking it up and moving it. I'm not sure if deer have the same mentaltity as birds that if you touch the fawn, the mother would abandon it, so I highly advised against it.

Comment

JM has the best idea. Even though the doe is there, the fawn may not be getting enough milk. Weeks of this could also signal a spinal cord/brain condition or disease.

Funny story(now). driving on a back woods paved road came upon a fawn that could not get it's feet on the slippery asphalt. My nephew was going to get out and help it to the side where the doe was waiting. As he started to pick it up, it hauled off and hit him in the chest with both back feet. My nephew saw stars and says he won't be doing that again. Lucky not injured. Funny now but serious situation at the time. The fawn walked off into the woods with the doe.

Comment

@officerdom1987: Mom won't like it but touching the fawn shouldn't cause her to abandon it. (Plus, you might get the snot kicked out of you according to JHP) Still, move it where? Wildlife rehabbers are overburdened right now with lots of injured and "abandoned" new borns. And I would bet a good rehabber would also tell you to leave it alone. They don't want a potentially diseased animal exposing the other injured and "abandoned" ones already in their care. Whatever the problem with the fawn, mother nature is at work and sometimes she is just cruel. Hopefully, mom chooses a more secluded location next year.

Comment

I agree with everyone else, as long as the mother's there, and it's not causing traffic trouble by getting out onto the road, I would let nature take its course.
                If it's been going on for weeks, I think there must be something wrong with it, because a healthy, well-fed fawn should be able to walk normally within a few days of being born.

Comment

I think I have read that it's a myth about touching young birds results in abondonement. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Lost some cover; pic heavy
                    by fitch270
                    ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                    Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  • Covid-19
                    by jhjimbo
                    Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                    09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                  • Spur of the moment rifle
                    by Amflyer
                    I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                    09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                  • The $20 Shooting Shack
                    by fitch270
                    So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                    09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                  • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                    by dewman
                    one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                    09-15-2020, 08:42 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X