Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was ground hog hunting yesterday and came across a dead fawn in the middle of the field. It was a very fresh kill. The odd thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was ground hog hunting yesterday and came across a dead fawn in the middle of the field. It was a very fresh kill. The odd thing

Was ground hog hunting yesterday and came across a dead fawn in the middle of the field. It was a very fresh kill. The odd thing was that the only thing that was eaten was the stomach region. All of its organs were gone and nothing else was touched. Do coyotes do this or is this possibly the work of another animal? I'm in southern Maryland btw.

Hi. I am from Mid-western Md and i have seen something similar, but when i saw it, it was a vulture that picked at a does organs, and left her other body areas intact. Was this a kill or a death? Is it possible the fawn died and a vulture saw an easy meal? -Jack

Comment

Could've been a domestic dog that killed it and like MD said, a vulture or some other scavenger that ate on it. A coyote would not leave much of a fawn behind.

Comment

thanks for the answers. I can't say for sure if the fawn was killed or just died. It was in an open field and there wasn't much disturbance in the grass. It was a very clean cut around the abdomen and the cavity was completely picked clean. I didn't think vultures but that could be a huge possibility.

Comment

A vulture would not make a clean cut(rip and tear)...were the eyes gone? Vultures usually peck out the eyes right away.

Comment

Were there any bite marks on the rest of the carcass? If so, I would say dogs are the best bet, because as JM said, there's not going to be much left of a fawn by the time a coyote's done with it. BTW, do you have bobcats in Maryland? Because they usually kill and eat their prey more cleanly (i.e., the clean cut around the stomach) than canines.

Comment

There are many possible scenarios.
              Vultures, crows, and ravens would have eaten out the fawn's eyes first. A bear could have killed the fawn but in most cases they bury their kill. The fawn could have been abandon by its mother and died of starvation. It could have been hit by a vehicle and died later. A bald eagle could take down the fawn. A member of the canine family could have killed the fawn.
              Next time send in a close of photo to the Outdoor Life Bragging Room and comment that you did that in your question. We all could check out the photo of the dead fawn's body for clues to identify the cause of death.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                by fitch270
                Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                Today, 08:27 PM
              • Unusual Sound
                by jhjimbo
                At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                Today, 02:17 PM
              • bedding on new rifle
                by Amflyer
                Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                Today, 12:22 AM
              • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                by fitch270
                Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                Yesterday, 08:57 PM
              • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X