Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am considering getting a lever action rifle chambered for pistol ammunition. I was wondering if anyone can suggest any makes o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am considering getting a lever action rifle chambered for pistol ammunition. I was wondering if anyone can suggest any makes o

I am considering getting a lever action rifle chambered for pistol ammunition. I was wondering if anyone can suggest any makes or models (I have been looking at the Henry Big Boy) and also what caliber, such as .357,.44, or .45LC. Which would be a good deer round and about how far of a shot can I expect before it drops drastically? Thanks all.

If you want a deer cartridge then in my opinion the 44 Magnum is the one to look at. Honestly though 30-30 ammo is probably about the same price and easier to find.

Comment

Rossi makes the M92 lever action rifle in all of the calibers you mentioned, plus .454 Casull. Big horn Armory makes the model 89 chambered in .500 S&W. These are both really great looking rifles. For deer, I think the bigger rounds are much better. I killed one deer with a .357 and will not hunt with that caliber again.

Comment

Sorry….Rossi makes the R94, not the M94. A Mauser must have crept into my mind somehow…Also, if you keep your shots under 100 yards, there won’t be much bullet drop.

Comment

@4everAutumn: Great stuff to know! I love .454casull caliber so I may look into that. If you don't mind me asking, why wouldn't you hunt a deer with a .357 again? And can you shoot a .38spl. out of a .357 calibered rifle the same as a pistol?

Comment

Officerdom1987: I don’t mind you asking a bit! The deer I shot with the .357 mag took two rounds in the chest and it acted like it wasn’t touched. I had to put one in the neck to bring him down. It was just not quick enough for my liking. I also expected a bit better penetration than the bullets got. The .44 mag performed much better. I hunt deer with a .500 S&W now, which some people look at as overkill, but it really does no more than a muzzle-loader of a similar caliber.
            The carbines chambered for handgun ammo will take the same variation of shells as the handguns.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget