Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I took a 6 mile hike in a large area of public land not too far from where I live here in NE Iowa this morning, and found 8 to 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I took a 6 mile hike in a large area of public land not too far from where I live here in NE Iowa this morning, and found 8 to 1

I took a 6 mile hike in a large area of public land not too far from where I live here in NE Iowa this morning, and found 8 to 10 different deer carcasses. All but one of them were in close proximity to a stream, which would indicate EHD, but they were too recent for that, all looked to have died 3 weeks to 2 months ago, way after the EHD season, and well after our late hunting seasons too. All were either young does or fawns, judging by the skulls and hooves. The only thing I can think of that might have done them in is winter-kill, but our winter really wasn't that severe here, and most were a mile or less from some large standing-corn food plots. Anybody have any ideas what could've killed them?

i saw a dead 6 point before gun season with no holes..

im guessing those deer got sick from something. possibly from eating. maybe the corn they all ate was bad or maybe a illness was transferred by one another by nose or feces while eating..its too fishy that 8 to 10 deer died ALL NEXT to each other. the only logical thing since food,water and prey is ruled out is sickness..
    Just my guess tho

Comment

Deer can survive EHD, they may have been weak from the illness still and the snow from the past couple months may have done them in.

Comment

According to biologists the standing corn could have contributed to their demise. Supposedly during the winter they eat it but they can't digest it and it gives them a false sense of being full slowly starving them. There has been a couple articles about this lately on here. Not sure if it's true or not. I'm guessing their demise is from something else though otherwise this would be a common widespread problem.

Comment

I think savageshot has a point. Deer that survive EHD come into winter in such a weakened state that they are susceptible to pretty much anything that they could normally fight off. I would say the corn had absolutely nothing to do with it, since grain makes up a large part of an Iowa deer’s diet. It’s not as if it’s a foreign food that has recently been introduced to them. I don’t know about anywhere else, but if eating corn killed deer in Iowa, there would be none left here.

Comment

Hard to say what killed them. My guess is more along the lines of MWK_MN thinking.
            Deer's digestive bacteria change from season to season. In the winter Jan-March the bacteria has changed to maximize the digestion of woody browse. This was discovered during the severe northern MN winters of the 60s. Well meaning deer hunter groups hauled alfalfa hay into the northern deer yards. 3 weeks later they found entire herds of dead deer with stomachs full of hay.
            U of M researchers discovered the digestive bacteria change.
            Fast forward 40 years; we have modern day deer hunters and managers who have never heard of or have forgotten this research.
            later,
            charlie

Comment

Good thoughts guys. I am kind of leaning toward savageshot's idea, because like I said, the winter wasn't THAT severe around here, and there was plenty of woody browse and marsh grass in the areas where I found the carcasses, so they shouldn't have starved to death, unless they were under some sort of preexisting stress.

Comment

I agree with some of the others. It could be the results of corn toxicity.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                  by dewman
                  Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                  Yesterday, 08:40 AM
                • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                  by dewman
                  Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                  Yesterday, 07:59 AM
                • What is taking so long ?
                  by jhjimbo
                  Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
                  09-21-2020, 07:52 PM
                • Burn cream
                  by CD2
                  Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
                  No longer does.
                  Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
                  Bargain.

Got...
                  09-21-2020, 05:39 PM
                • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                  by dewman
                  So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                  09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X