Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gentle man & ladys i was wondering wut would be a lethle kill shot on a whitetale deer beside a broad side shot any comment or a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gentle man & ladys i was wondering wut would be a lethle kill shot on a whitetale deer beside a broad side shot any comment or a

gentle man & ladys i was wondering wut would be a lethle kill shot on a whitetale deer beside a broad side shot any comment or answers would be helpful

There are a few more, the quartering away, quartering to, frontal, and neck shots will all do the trick. I wouldn't recommend the frontal or quartering to shots unless you were an experienced shooter and very confident in your abillity.

Comment

if you can hit exactly where you aim & not just in a 6" circle in that area, the white patch on the throat is a very leathal shot... just anywhere in the neck will work... or just a chest shot... just so you hit the vitals....

Comment

Any shot where you can drop both lungs or destroy the heart are lethal. That being said I have shot deer and found that their heart was destroyed, unable to pump any blood and the deer ran, one for over 100 yards into heavy cover.
        The only 100% guarantee shot is to the spinal cord above the shoulder, they will go do right there. But 99% of all hunters have no business trying to make that shot at any distance, myself included, And I have been fortunate to have had extra marksmanship training that many others have not. I have done neck shots but under most circumstances I recommend against it.
        I shot a cow elk in the head because it had already been shot by someone else twice and would have either gotten away or was going to slowly bleed to death from a gut shot. The head was the only decent target that the terrain and trees would permit. I was fortunate.

Comment

The best shot is one your comfortable making.As for placement, the heart/lungs are the two areas that you should focus on because as I was taught "if you can breath you can't run, and if your heart isn't pumping blood you can't run. Good luck to you this comming season and shoot straight yungdeerslayer

Comment

I am particulaar to the quartering away shots, I will take a head or neck shot if I know that I can hit it. As Big O nailed it on the head, the best shot is the one that you feel most comfortable taking.

Comment

i think a very lathel shot on a whitail is right in the neck

Comment

I figure why try shooting a deer in the neck when you could put a hole in the deers ribs and which have a bigger kill zone! I have shot a few deer with my gun, and always had an opportunity to put a hole in the deers ribs. Either a broadside, quartering away, or quartering to shot have been provided. Just be patient and one of those shots will prevent itself. I agree 100 % with Bo, neck shots are difficult. Why risk it?

Comment

One thing that has not been addressed is gut shots. I agree that the absolute best shot it in the lungs/heart area. It is the biggest kill zone and, besides the spine, the deer will die the fastest, most humane death. The biggest thing to be careful of is shooting too far back. If you miss the heart and lungs and hit farther back you can make a real mess. You may hit the stomach or other less vital organs. This is dangerous for a few reasons: 1). The deer will be able to run for a lot longer than if it were shot in the heart or lungs. this means more tracking work for you. 2) the deer probably wont die immediately, so thats more suffering for the deer. 3) you may lose the deer completely. He will probably be able to run pretty far and may not bleed much from a gut shot. I recommend that you are ALWAYS sure of your shot before you take it. Good Luck!

Comment

quatering away is a very deadly shot if you know where to put it. another shot that i like to take quite often is when they are walking towards me

Comment

The most deadly is the head in my experience. My uncle usually shoots his deer in the head or in the spine. He says if you get him in the spine he will be paralyzed and bleed out. The trouble with shooting broadside is it may take too long for the deer to bleed out if it isn't a kill shot and the deer may run and you may never find him. Head shot is an almost certain also. With both of these kind of shots you have to be a good marksman and hit the target, of course.

Comment

I generally go for a lung shot. I believe I am as good as most at the range but the best of guys are fallible in hunting situations. So, I play the odds and take the broad side shot if that is what is offered. When I take a board side shot in a situation where I am concerned about losing the deer into thick cover I ma choose to pull as the shoulder facing me steps ahead. This allows for a clean shot into the lung area or heart should it strike low. The shoulder on the off side will take the exiting bullet which means there will be tremendous energy rapidly expended. a deer lung shot and with a broken shoulder is down. Of course this can ruin much of that 1/4 so it is a trade off.

Comment

A good shoot is when a deer is at a slight quarter so the shot can cover more vital organs.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                            by jhjimbo
                            If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                            10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                          • Pay it forward
                            by fitch270
                            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                            10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                          • Reloading Gear Order
                            by fitch270
                            I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                            10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                          • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                            by dewman
                            Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                            10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                          • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                            by Ernie
                            Any handgun hunters here?
                            Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                            10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X