Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok so im new to this site but love it alrwady. But now I have a question im REALLY big into deer hunting and squirrel hunting an

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok so im new to this site but love it alrwady. But now I have a question im REALLY big into deer hunting and squirrel hunting an

Ok so im new to this site but love it alrwady. But now I have a question im REALLY big into deer hunting and squirrel hunting and have gotten to thinking here lately about a shotgun since I hunt woods anyway. Now I was looking to get a gun that I could use for both squirrel and deer maybe a slug/scatter gun combo that comes with two different barrels I dont know this is why I asked for advicw because id like one gun for both hunts that I can upgrade and practice wi th. Id like the gun to be under 500 as that is my budget

Mossberg 500 Field/Deer combo. Comes with a rifled slug barrel that can be mounted with a scope and a field barrel. Should be less than $400.

Comment

Hi...

You have a few possible options to consider. For a while I hunted deer and smaller game (but not squirrels) with a three shot Mossberg 20 ga. shotgun. It was a good gun for hunting both. Used shot for ducks, pheasants and rabbits, and rifled slugs for deer.

Another option is an over/under. Large rifle caliber on top, and shotgun on the bottom...and both barrels can be used for deer. Can't quote you any prices, though.

JM also has another valid suggestion.

Best of luck with your quest.

Comment

Welcome to OL jaredhunter,
        JM and Bob gave good options although be careful where and when you hunt if you choose the over/under because in some areas it is illegal to carry a center fire rifle outside of deer season or in a shotgun only deer area.
        later,
        charlie

Comment

How about this idea? Get yourself a .22lr like the savage bolt action rifle with the accu trigger. Put a 4X 1" diameter scope on it for squirrels and target shooting. Then save up this summer and get yourself a nice field/deer combo with rifled barrel and scope for next fall .
          I always used a .22 for squirrel because i hated to bite down on a BB in the squirrel stew.

Comment

Welcome to the site jared.
            I agree with JM, as far as budget combo shotguns go, the Mossberg 500 is hard to top.

Comment

Thanks for the great answers, thus far. I was really looking at the mossberg but I have one more queation shouldi pick up tbe 20 or 12 guage tbe 20 is in my budget the 12 is over by a couple hundred. Also jhp I would really like to hunt with the .22 instead of shotgun but in my area in london ky there are a lot of woods but a lot of houses in those woods scattered throughout I hate to ahoot someone with a missed shot but .22 was my original plan for squirrel. Then when I realized I had to get a shotgun i got the idea to make rhe shotgun for squirrel and deer

Comment

I'm surprised that the 12 gauge costs more....the 20 gauge is plenty though...it actually would probably be better for the location you are hunting(safety wise).

Comment

I have no complaints about my Remington 870 20ga Combo.
                  I think the 20ga is better for squirrels than the 12ga and they
                  say the 20 kicks less than the 12 which could come into play
                  as we get older.

Comment

Yeah I called my gunshop and they said the mossberg 500 12 guage combo is 588 and that the mossberg 500 20 gauge combo is 389 I think the 20 would be fine im a bigger squirrel hunter rhan deer hunter but like both. I would like to have a rifle to hunt witj but it could be dangerous but oh well I think ill get the 20 guage and itll be all I need. I also have the remington 870 but mine has a flaw and is unsafe and unshootable

Comment

The 20 gauge can do everything a 12 gauge can do. The only difference is that there are less pellets(good thing when squirrel hunting), and the slug is not as big(will still kill deer with ease). Ranges should be the same in both 12 and 20 gauge.

Comment

The 20 ga is as lethal on deer as the 12 ga. I've hunted with both with similar results. I actually prefer the 20 ga for deer. Mossberg and Remington both offer combo packages in their pump guns. I have both. I prefer the Remington 870 but the Mossberg 500 is an economical second choice if you have to stay within a budget.

Comment

I would double check that price quote you got on the 12 and 20 ga. I sounds like it is apples and oranges. Maybe a quote on a plain gun vs. a price on a combo for the other. double check - they should not be that far apart.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                            by dewman
                            So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                            Today, 10:12 PM
                          • Now That's Service
                            by jhjimbo
                            Had my local Jeep dealer mount two tires and rotate some. When they did that they also spray painted my rims to cover up some brake dust stains I could...
                            Today, 07:57 PM
                          • Lost some cover; pic heavy
                            by fitch270
                            ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                            Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                          • Covid-19
                            by jhjimbo
                            Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                            09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                          • Spur of the moment rifle
                            by Amflyer
                            I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                            09-17-2020, 11:25 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X