Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your opinion on hunting deer(and other animals) with an AR type rifle or handgun? If you saw someone hunting with one w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your opinion on hunting deer(and other animals) with an AR type rifle or handgun? If you saw someone hunting with one w

What is your opinion on hunting deer(and other animals) with an AR type rifle or handgun? If you saw someone hunting with one would you have any prejudice towards them? Would the people you hunt with allow one in deer camp(or any other hunting situation)? Would you use one if you owned one? Do any of you use one? -The reason I ask is because I was talking to an older man today who was complaining about a person who was using a revolver to hunt deer on public land(legal during rifle season). He never even talked to the man using the revolver, but he used some very 'harsh' words when talking about him.

The older I get, the more important the experience of the hunt becomes to me. I switched to handgun hunting for deer several years ago because it afforded me a bigger challenge and more satisfaction. I have taken deer with a .357 mag., a .44 mag. and over a dozen with a .500 Smith. Quite often, I hunt squirrels and rabbits with a .22 pistol or a .17 HMR revolver. The animals I hunt don’t seem to be able to tell the difference when they get hit with a projectile from a handgun as opposed to a rifle. I guess I would like to know what the guy’s beef was with handgun hunting. I’ve never tried to convince someone to take it up because I enjoy it. If they want to use different legal means to hunt, then more power to them. The more divided we become, the easier we fall.

Comment

@4everAutumn,
      It's hard to describe the man's opinion due to the words he used(OL wont allow 90% of the words he used), but to put it simply he thought only a criminal would hunt deer with a handgun. In no way did I agree with him but I was working, so I couldn't say anything...

Comment

The harsh words should be directed to the source of regulation, not the law abiding citizen.

Comment

I don't care what other hunters use, old fashioned bolt action or a AR style. I don't mind handgun hunters if they are proficient in the use of a handgun.

Comment

AR platform guns are quite common around here. No one seems to have a problem with anyone who uses them.
            I have tried them out but I can't seem to get use to the feel and do not shoot them well so I have chosen to stay more traditional. After hunting for half a century some changes are hard to make.
            However, a revolver is about as traditional as a handgun comes, so what's his beef? I use handguns all the time for hunting a variety of game.
            later,
            charlie

Comment

I think they are cool and all but I wouldn't exactly use either for hunting big game pistol as back up and ar for like prairie dogs and coyotes .

Comment

In good ol' PA we're still not allowed to hunt with semi-auto rifles, or handguns. (We also still can't even hunt on Sundays). We have so many old timer hunters in this state it'd be hard to convince them that using an AR would be ok. Too much speculation would come about taking multiple shots in a short time...but some people are quick enough with a bolt it can sound like one anyway. As for the revolver hunter, I think it's awesome to hunt with one; it adds to difficulty of the hunt just like using a bow. Would I use an AR to hunt? I don't think I could with a deer but possibly for small game. Are you guys who are using AR's already for deer using it in a .223 or higher? PA regulation is smallest is .243 here.

Comment

For deer hunting in WI the .308 is the most popular cartridge with an AR platform.
                  later,
                  charlie

Comment

I've never used an AR for any kind of hunting, not because I don't like them, but simply because I don't own one. I honestly don't think I would use them for hunting even if I owned one however, since I am a bolt-action man, and always will be. Don't have anything against people who do hunt with them though, as long as they do so in a responsible manner.
                    As far as handguns are concerned, I can't imagine why that gentleman would say that they're a "criminal's" hunting weapon. I have hunted small game with a revolver, and it is very challenging, and can be more fun than traditional long-gun hunting, IMO. If I saw someone hunting with one (again, in a responsible manner) I would congratulate him/her, not bad-mouth them.

Comment

A old wise man would say "It's easier for me to be free, if you are"

Comment

4everautumn's perspective on the quarry's knowledge on what it's being shot at with is similar to my own.IF I thought a slingshot was a more effective weapon to use, I'D use it .

Comment

btw I LIKE THAT DROPHOOK ,HAFTA REMEMBER THAT ONE .

Comment

I don't own an AR type firearm and don't plan on getting one, but I don't care if someone else hunts with one provided that it's of adequate caliber. On the other hand, I'm the proud owner of a Rem. 750 carbine in .308 (semi-auto) that I got for hunting hogs---it can be hard to get of second and third shots at a sounder of hogs with a bolt action before they make it to cover.

Handguns? More power to you if you are proficient enough to hit deer in the kill zone with one. Just use enough gun.

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
                              The older I get, the more important the experience of the hunt becomes to me. I switched to handgun hunting for deer several years ago because it afforded me a bigger challenge and more satisfaction. I have taken deer with a .357 mag., a .44 mag. and over a dozen with a .500 Smith. Quite often, I hunt squirrels and rabbits with a .22 pistol or a .17 HMR revolver. The animals I hunt don’t seem to be able to tell the difference when they get hit with a projectile from a handgun as opposed to a rifle. I guess I would like to know what the guy’s beef was with handgun hunting. I’ve never tried to convince someone to take it up because I enjoy it. If they want to use different legal means to hunt, then more power to them. The more divided we become, the easier we fall.
                              I'm curious to hear more about your handgun hunting. In particular when using the .357 Magnum if you start posting again on this site. Please make a new thread if you do.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget