Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to buy a rifle that I can have fun hand loading with, but I don't want a popular caliber. Right now I am thinking about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to buy a rifle that I can have fun hand loading with, but I don't want a popular caliber. Right now I am thinking about

I want to buy a rifle that I can have fun hand loading with, but I don't want a popular caliber. Right now I am thinking about the .264 Win Mag, but I am open to other calibers. Does anyone have any suggestions? Opinions on the .264 Win Mag? Only requirement is that it can kill deer sized game.

I bought my 264 in 1970. It was a Rem 700 and very accurate with most of my loads. Less than MOA off the bench. My nephew has used it for whitetails the last two years. I shot deer, antelope, and hogs with it. Now some drawbacks. Expensive and difficult to find brass to reload. Currently only 3 factory loadings that I can find. Since it is a high pressure round brass doesn't last long and max loads must be approached carefully. Cabela's currently has a Model 70 available in 264 for about $1400.

Comment

Take a look at NEF single shot rifles. (H&R 1871.com) You can get lots of calibers, some in heavy weight barrels. They also come in some of the pistol cartridges like .500S&W. Look for the actions in gun shops and the barrels on places like E-Bay and Gunbroker.com. If i remember, i made the target by my name with a NEF in 45/70.

Comment

@DSMbirddog,
        Cost aside would you suggest the .264 or do you think I could find better.
        @JHP,
        I have a NEF single shot shotgun and like it, but at this time I do not want a single shot rifle. I want something that could provide a quick follow up shot if needed.

Comment

The 264 Win Mag is a heck of a caliber. You can hunt long range varmints, shoot elk and moose, or compete in long range competitions. I will never regret owning mine. JM, I thought you needed to be aware of the difficulties reloading or buying ammunition. If I were doing it today I would find a used Rem 700 or Model 70 long action and have it rebarreled. I had my barrel free floated and the action beded.

Comment

Cost is definitely important, but this wont be a rifle I will be shooting a ton.

Comment

mosin nagant, 7.62X54r it is rimmed but what i have heard is that you dont need to reload and there true $110 for 440 rounds of fmj if you dont like the mosin you can get a svt ,svd (dragnov), or many of the lmg the russian army uses .

Comment

I'm sure the 7.62X54r would be fun to play around with, but when they offer "military surplus" ammunition it is just a bit too common for me. I want a caliber that you do not hear about very often.

Comment

O.K., how about a Mauser 96 in 6.5X55. By reloading it can be used for anything from ground hogs up to and including black bear. It has more energy at 100yds than a 30-30 has at the muzzle. All that without a lot of recoil. I have a 4X12 scope on mine.
                  The .264 is a real hot rod - great for long distance shooting. The 6.5mm(.264) bullets have some of the best B.C. along with 7mm(.284).

Comment

6.5-284

There's a reason it's one of the most popular calibers with the long range target guys. Super accurate and easy to work up a good load. Powerful enough to take deer out to 600+. Easy on the shoulder and wallet.

Since you mention the .264WM I am guessing you like to go fast and long range? A few others that I think are prety cool that don't require any wildcatting. Odds are no one else in deer camp will have one and you wont be able to find ammo locally.

+1 on 264 WM
                    257 Weatherby
                    284 Win
                    7MM RSAUM or WSM
                    7MM STW
                    30-378 Weatherby
                    I'll also throw in the 6MM BR, not the fastest or probably the best choice for deer but a pretty cool little round.

Good luck.

Comment

Mauser 7.65 Argentine, load me some cartridges while you're at it

Comment

I would vote for the 6.5 Creedmoore, one of the most accurate, flattest-shooting rounds out there.

Comment

ok thats fine Jm theres always .50 BMG .416 lappua .408 Cheytech .50 ae (desert eagle) or if you want it to be small and fun 17 mach 2 22bee or many othe huge rediculos rounds and my personal favorite the 28mm revolver.

Comment

sorry .416 barret but you could throw in a .338 lapua magnum those would be my kind of snipers ( the .338 lapua was the first round spicificlay desighned for snipers!)

Comment

-Now you guys are making it hard on me. I'm going to have to take my time to decide which caliber I want.
                              -Blake, I own a meat grinder so there is no need for a sniper round =]. I own a .338 lapua and it blows up anything it hits(I shot a coyote with one and you could fit a softball through the hole). One hell of a fun rifle to shoot at targets, but overkill for what I will be hunting.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget