Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am having a crazy issue this year while bow hunting in South Eastern MO. It seems no matter what I do this year, I keep gettin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am having a crazy issue this year while bow hunting in South Eastern MO. It seems no matter what I do this year, I keep gettin

I am having a crazy issue this year while bow hunting in South Eastern MO. It seems no matter what I do this year, I keep getting winded by deer. I have tried everything. I was all of my clothes in scent away, bag them up immediately in a scent bag , store them in tote with cedar wood chips (there are cedars near my stand), tried different scent blockers, etc. I have had all but like 3 deer this year wind me and blow. I tried to put my climber stand on another area of the property to play the wind and still get winded. Its only happening in the 50 yard range, but thats the problem. I am a good bow shot up to 40 yards, but 50+ makes me nervous. This seems to be the first year ive had this issue on this property. Any suggestions for me?

I would be careful of the cedar strips and how much scent they are putting in your clothes but it sounds like you are doing everything you can to do it right. Is there anything on your boots that might be tipping them off? By chance are they catching scent from where you walk in? I try to walk in away from the majority of trails if I can.

Comment

Not to sound like I'm stating the obvious, but it seems like your problem is that the deer keep getting downwind of you. If that's the case, you need to move your stand(s) to a location where it's unlikely/impossible for them to get downwind. That should go a long way toward solving your problems.
      In general, scent control/suppression is overrated - if deer get downwind, they'll often smell you and spook, no matter how much fancy scent-suppressing technology you're wearing.
      If you just can't seem to find an an area where the wind won't blow toward the deer, then you might need to find a different place to hunt. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's my 2 cents.

Comment

Every situation is different, but considering the scent control effort and taking at face value that you're watching the wind I had 2 questions.

Are you sitting along the side of a hill? The prevailing wind is often disturbed by the hillside and eddies unpredictably. I remember hunting one clearing at the edge of the hill. If I set-up on the far side of the flat, the deer stayed out of range. If I set up on the hillside over looking it, they winded me every time regardless of apparent wind and approach.

Is there any chance there's another predator that is frequenting your area and causing alarm? (this one's a stretch, I know.)

Comment

How high is your stand? Try raising your stand or try sitting on the ground for a day and see if they still wind you.

Comment

get to your stand earlier

Comment

I,m hunting just south of st.louis and im haveing the same problem. what i noticed in the three areas i've set up is that the wind has been changing direction ALOT. we had that cold front come through this past weekend and although there was a north wind when it was blowing i noticed the calm breeze was out of the south. maybe you have a bear in the area like jcarlin suggest. all i could say is maybe try getting higher. come peak rut drag an estrus scent with you and hang it, hope you get a buck to horny to care what you smell like.lol

Comment

It sounds like a possible footwear issue. Especially if your boots are leather. Try a rubber boot. They dont have to be exspensive. Try to use your hunting boots only for hunting and invest in a boot dryer to rid the boot's inside of any moisture containing odor, again, it doesn't have to be exspensive. Baking soda is also a very effective and cheap way of ridding anything you wear of odor. If it's not your boots... Those swirling winds can be very tough to overcome. Good luck.

Comment

@jcarlin I am setting on a hill over looking a food plot that I put in this year. And also I have seen a coyote twice this bow season around my area. Someone did mention me being on a hill with barometric pressure rising and lowering carrying my scent in to this little valley where my food plot is. Never considered this really till lately.

@Savageshot I feel your pain with the wind direction changing. I figured this is my biggest issue. Ill get to my stand i want to hunt due to wind, set there for a little bit, then the wind will change. I have a two man 20 footer that I hunt my food plot in when the winds right.

@Shamma Lamma My boots are only used to hunt, and I keep them in my tote when im not hunting. I did some research and found that some hunting boots are made of a certain material that when it erodes and comes off the unexposed material has a new scent. Definitely did not consider that until now so ill keep it in mind.

Thanks everyone for your tips and comments. Its gave me a lot to think about and Im gonna try your guys' advice! Much obliged!

Comment

@savageshot I have read a lot about MO black bear population is on the increase. I haven't seen any sign or a bear yet though. Kind of crazy how much they are migrating. Also read about the mountain lion population doubling over the last 5 years in MO. They trapped one like two counties away from where i hunt. I dont really know what id do if i ran across either one of those. lol...speaking of gettin' them bucks Horney, what all scent lures you use in MO. I like buck bomb, but im open to try no stuff.

Comment

Good luck, Josh. BTW, based on your picture, whatever you're using to lure them in, it's working.

Comment

ya, it's always in the back of my mind walking in at 4 in the mourning. lol on the other hand im looking forward to having an elk tag and black bear tag in the near future. this is my first year useing anything other then an acorn or dirt cover scent. i've been spraying doe urine on my boots walking in and now that the ruts in im going to drag an estrus one behind me and hang it if i get the chance to get out before rifle starts. I hunt all public ground so i feel i have to hunt it difrently then private.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                          by fitch270
                          Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                          09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
                        • Grips and stocks
                          by dewman
                          so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                          09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
                        • Youth pheasant hike
                          by fitch270
                          Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                          09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                        • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                          by fitch270
                          Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                          09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                        • Unusual Sound
                          by jhjimbo
                          At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                          09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X