Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i missed a doe the other day my first deer i ever shot at with a bow. what could i do to calm myself down when deer come in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i missed a doe the other day my first deer i ever shot at with a bow. what could i do to calm myself down when deer come in?

i missed a doe the other day my first deer i ever shot at with a bow. what could i do to calm myself down when deer come in?

Experience...wish I could tell you more but there isn't really anything else you can do.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the miss. This year I harvested my first deer with a bow and what helped me most was planning what to do, how to do this, then exicute it. I hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!

Comment

Here’s my two cents, for what it’s worth: Practice a bunch so it’s all second nature to draw, anchor and sight. The less you have to think, the better. Know your ranges and find the spot you are going to hit the deer and focus on that. Think about the deer in 3-D and shoot more for the other side and what your arrow goes through, rather than the just the point of impact. With luck, every deer that comes in will always get you worked up, because that is why we bow hunt!

Comment

Shoot from the stand you are hunting from. Shoot a couple of squirrels before climbing down for lunch.

Comment

Visualization can help a lot. For example, if you're sitting on the couch, try envisioning a deer coming in, you stopping in right in your shooting lane, and then executing a perfect, controlled shot. You can also do it when you're practicing with your bow, or whenever really. I know that sounds a little nutty, but try it before you laugh at me.

Comment

Tons of practice as 4everAutumn pointed out. I even practiced from my tree stand in all direcctions. That is what I did with bow hunting. Then with a rifle or bow I concentrate on the exact spot I want my bullet or arrow to hit.

Comment

This yr i also shot at my first deer (doe) w/ a bow. also missed.taking deep breaths will help calm down nerves. Just dont overthink it. only think of the shot as another shot at the range and focus only on that.

Comment

Experience and Practice as mentioned earlier, I am a fairly young hunter and I still get the same adrenaline rush and "buck fever" as I have ever since my first harvest. The nerves is just part of the fun but just take your time and focus on what your doing and you'll have plenty of successful hunts in the future. Good luck out there.

Comment

Don't think of the adrenaline and the shot. Make sure everything is perfect before you even pull back. Make a mental checklist: Did I take a breath before pulling back? Am I in a position I can hold if I had to? Is my bow level? Am I look at the right pin? When your about to press your trigger lightly say in your head "Press Press Press" over and over and it should be a surprise when the arrow flies. These are mental things I do. After the shot let that adrenaline out anyway you want; just do it quietly.

Comment

Fool your brain,positive practice ,produces positive results.HUNTFISHTRAP has the key, you need to know how to unlock it.,TRY sighting in on bucks on t.v shows ,this helps young gun hunters as well.

Comment

take deep breaths. imagine that the buck is a target

Comment

This may sound dumb, but sit in the stand without a bow, and use a camera. You will notice the difference when a deer aproaches. When you see how easy that was, then go back with the bow.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                            by fitch270
                            Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                            Yesterday, 05:55 PM
                          • Grips and stocks
                            by dewman
                            so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                            Yesterday, 08:55 AM
                          • Youth pheasant hike
                            by fitch270
                            Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                            09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                          • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                            by fitch270
                            Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                            09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                          • Unusual Sound
                            by jhjimbo
                            At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                            09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X