Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rifle season is a month away in my state, so just a hypothetical question for everyone. There is a mature doe standing broadsid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifle season is a month away in my state, so just a hypothetical question for everyone. There is a mature doe standing broadsid

Rifle season is a month away in my state, so just a hypothetical question for everyone. There is a mature doe standing broadside at 25 yards, and a big buck standing broadside 150 yards away. Calling the buck in closer is not an option. It's the last day of the season and you do not have any venison in the freezer, which one do you shoot at?

I shoot the buck (unless there is some extenuating circumstance) because he will provide more meat and hang his headgear on the wall of the den or the tractor shed. That's not a hard shot (150 yds.) on a standing broadside buck unless I have to freehand him, in which case I'd shoot the doe.

Comment

Oops...I did mean to specify the type of shot. Only the gun and your body allowed(Freehand, use your knee as a rest, etc.). No shooting sticks or anything like that allowed.

Comment

i bet you couldnt even make a standing 25 yard shot jm so i wouldnt shoot at either of them if i was you. you prob some poser with a custom $5000 gun and $1000 scope that thinks they are all that because they can hit a target with the help of a rest that doesnt let the rifle move at all. i bet you couldnt even find a deer where i hunt. prob rely on someone to push a deer to you.

Comment

IT'S late in the season,I've already passed on doe deer since early September,Big BOY is in a world of trouble.

Comment

LONGBOW 83'' IS THIS really the direction your sure you want to go ? Sometimes it's better to keep your negative comments to your self and be thought of as a fool,to continue removes all doubt.

Comment

If it is a freehand shot I am going to shoot the doe.

Comment

Clear shot at the buck? I would shoot the buck.
                JM.... I've seen people like Longbow83 come and go on this site.

Comment

I have always been and will always be a meat hunter. I would shoot the doe. You may have slightly more meat on the buck, but that doe will be more tender.

Comment

All else being equal, I'd shoot the buck, you get more meat, plus a nice rack for the wall. A 150 yard shot with your knees as a rest isn't that hard, for a good rifleman. And the argument that the doe would taste better/be more tender isn't true if you fix the meat right. Pressure can it or fix it in a crock-pot/slow cooker with the right seasonings, and that old buck will be as good as any doe.

Comment

BTW, I hope somebody at OL shuts down "Longbow83"s account pretty soon. He's not contributing anything positive to the discussion.

Comment

There would be antlers on the ground!

Comment

I guess I'm the odd one out here, because I would shoot the doe. Not that I couldn't make the shot on the buck, but I already have a pile of horns from years gone by and a few nice trophies. So unless he was a real brute and would surpass my largest or at least give it a run for its money I would let him walk.

Comment

shoot them both, because One deer can't feed me all winter

Comment

I have reported longbow for the personal attack and unnecessary derogatory statements. There's no sense in that sort of thing.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                                by fitch270
                                Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                                Today, 08:27 PM
                              • Unusual Sound
                                by jhjimbo
                                At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                                Today, 02:17 PM
                              • bedding on new rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                                Today, 12:22 AM
                              • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                                by fitch270
                                Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                                Yesterday, 08:57 PM
                              • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                                by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                                09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X