Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've been thinking of buying a new bow after this season but I've been considering getting a crossbow instead. Seems like they

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been thinking of buying a new bow after this season but I've been considering getting a crossbow instead. Seems like they

I've been thinking of buying a new bow after this season but I've been considering getting a crossbow instead. Seems like they are becoming superior to vertical bows in many aspects. Thoughts?

-Firstly, have you made sure that they are legal in your state?
    -With that thought aside, I've shot both kinds pretty extensively, and while crossbows do have some advantages, and one or two pretty significant ones, they are not the overwhelming overall advantage that some people would have you think.
    -Some of their advantages are: Easier to just pick-up-and-shoot, they don't have the learning curve that vertical bows carry, although since it sounds like you're already experienced with vertical bows, so that might not be as big a deal. Some of the higher-weight models are also faster and have more kinetic energy than your average compound, however, those can also be very expensive. And of course the biggest advantage they have is that you don't need to draw and hold the string back when an animal is approaching - you can just keep it cocked and ready for the whole hunt. Those are the main advantages I can think of right now.
    - The disadvantages include: The faster bows with heavier draw weights (see above) can be hard if not impossible for a person to pull on their own, so you need a crank to get the string back, which is just one more potential problem. Crossbows, especially the cheaper ones, are also notorious for having horrendous triggers, with long, rough, 6, 8 or even 10 pound pulls that can easily lead to flinching (I've shot a couple of these, and it ain't fun). All crossbows, even expensive ones, are also prone to being pretty loud at the shot, much louder than the average vertical bow. They also tend to have a lot of vibration, which is hard on accessories (and the shooter). Most crossbows, except for the very pricey carbon models, are also quite a bit heavier/bulkier than vertical bows, with average weights in the 6-8 pound range, without accessories, whereas vertical bows average about half that.
    -So in summary, they do have some real advantages, but they also have some significant (to me anyway) disadvantages. So it's really an individual decision. I personally would not use them, even if it was legal in IA, which it isn't; not because I hate crossbows, like some people, but simply because their negatives are outweigh their positives, for me.
    -Hope all this helps.

Comment

I agree with huntfishtrap. If you can use a regular bow then I don't know why you would get a crossbow. If you want to travel and hunt you might run into some states that don't allow them ( see Iowa in previous post).

Comment

I agree with both DSM and huntfishtrap. The only thing I would add to what they said is that if drawing the bow back and holding it back is becoming a problem do not be afraid to lower the draw weight, just keep it above 45#.

Comment

personal preferance

Comment

the biggest advantage I see is not having to draw and hold during a live game sequence,the biggest flaw is are the seasons where you hunt as flexible as compounds

Comment

Thank you everyone. Especially Huntfishtrap

Comment

Any chance you made a decision yet?

Comment

JM, I think I will get a vertical bow. Seems like the way to go. However, I am still very interested in crossbows. Wish I could afford both!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                    by jhjimbo
                    If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                    Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                  • Pay it forward
                    by fitch270
                    I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                    10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                  • Reloading Gear Order
                    by fitch270
                    I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                    10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                  • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                    by dewman
                    Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                    10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                  • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                    by Ernie
                    Any handgun hunters here?
                    Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                    10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X