Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who uses climbing stands? I'm concerned about my stands getting stolen and like to move around a bit. Haven't given much thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who uses climbing stands? I'm concerned about my stands getting stolen and like to move around a bit. Haven't given much thought

Who uses climbing stands? I'm concerned about my stands getting stolen and like to move around a bit. Haven't given much thought to them before this year. Are they quiet, easy, comfortable? If recommended what brand would you suggest? Thanks.

We own a summit viper but it is used by a different person almost every year(No one ever has problems/complains). I have only used it a few times(I hardly ever sit in a stand, period), but it is way more comfortable than any of the hang on stands we use.

Comment

I also use a Summit Viper. It doesn't matter what brand you choose, they are all a little cumberson packing in to the woods and mounting to the tree. The amount of noise depends on the type of tree bark,but all make noise some less then others. For long sets and comfort, I love it.

Comment

I haven't used them a lot, usually just on public land where you can't leave stands overnight, but when I have I've liked them. Their main negatives are they are pretty heavy and bulky to pack in, and you need a fairly straight, limbless tree to climb. But in general, they are very comfortable, cheaper than investing in several regular lock-on stands, and as you stated, theft-proof. I haven't found noise to be as big an issue with climbers as some people say either, as long as you're careful and not in too much of a hurry. Overall, I would recommend them

Comment

Hi...

Stands get stolen rather frequently, sometimes. Not much you can do about it, but a trail cam might help. Just hope that doesn't get stolen too.

You can make regular checks of the stands. And you can cable or chain them to the tree. But there no guarantees against theft.

If you find out for a fact who's doing it, informing your local Conservation Officers may help. They're probably most likely to know where and how it has happened before. They may also know of some suspects.

Comment

I've used a variety of climbers over the years. At the moment the only one I still have is a lone wolf hand climber. It is extremely light and very quiet both on the tree and while installing/climbing. I am considering buying a second climber or at least the sit/climb top in addition to the hand climbing one. It took a lot of getting used to using a hand climber with no wrap around bar up top, and once it turns to colder weather and the rifle season I think I'd be happier with a larger seat and the bar around me on cold days in bulky clothing. Depending on your situation, be aware of weight. I hunt with an older gentleman on occassion who uses a Tree Lounge with all the attachments. That thing is a bear to carry in and out of the woods and takes a while to set up on the tree.

Comment

I have the summit open shot its one the lighter stands,rated for 300 pounds, back packs in,relatively quiet going up tree (slower you go the quieter it is).Its comfortable and great for bow hunting and ive even gun hunted out of it.No matter what stand you get please use a harness your family will thank you for it.

Comment

I have a gorilla stealth hybrid light that works pretty well. In my opinion gorilla tried put too many features on this stand which makes it a little more complicated than it needs to be.The plus side is it is more comfortable than any ladder or hang on stand i've sat in. I definitely agree with rraper it is definitely worth it to wear the harness.

Comment

the climbers are easily portable,at the end of the day I'LL leave it only if I intend hunting it the next morning,otherwise I take it with me.I'VE never lost one and the versatility is unmatched

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                    by dewman
                    Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                    Yesterday, 08:40 AM
                  • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                    by dewman
                    Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                    Yesterday, 07:59 AM
                  • What is taking so long ?
                    by jhjimbo
                    Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
                    09-21-2020, 07:52 PM
                  • Burn cream
                    by CD2
                    Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
                    No longer does.
                    Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
                    Bargain.

Got...
                    09-21-2020, 05:39 PM
                  • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                    by dewman
                    So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                    09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X