Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This weekend is the youth hunt in Michigan, and this will be my last year hunting during it. The rut here in our area is usually

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This weekend is the youth hunt in Michigan, and this will be my last year hunting during it. The rut here in our area is usually

This weekend is the youth hunt in Michigan, and this will be my last year hunting during it. The rut here in our area is usually early to mid November. My question is what calling/rattling strategy will be the most effective during this time.

I don't know that calling/rattling will work. I have had a few come in during early pre-rut if they are in sight. They didn't come very close though. Mild curiosity I would say.

Comment

Find some well used trails and hope for the best. It is like early ML season here in mid October.

Comment

Calling isn't going to do much. Deer are curious animals, but I doubt rattling will accomplish very much either. If at all possible try to get out before the season starts and scout around a bit. If you do not have a chance to scout it out, just set up off of a trail/food source/water source.

Comment

I'm here in Wisconsin, so maybe this will help. Stay near any green crops. If there aren't any, hunt beans when they're dried out really good. Otherwise, DSMbirddog has some very good tips. As far as calls go, call on sight. If its a buck, I would try a snort-wheeze. Otherwise, try a contact grunt. Good Luck.

Comment

Calling and RATTLING early in the season will work,although most hunters including myself at times over use them.Although quiet stand is never over used.Soft bleats and subtle grunts along with
            'light tickling" offer the stand setter the chance to be more proactive and involved.This is your last year in a youth hunt,have fun intereacting with the outdoors.We know a lot more about deer these days than we did nearly fifty years ago.When the wind is in your favor and you jump a deer and it runs off blowing,blow back.IT worked once this I can attest too.So don't be shy to step out of the box. Sometimes the tried and true,hasn't been tried in the right way to be true.GOOD LUCK'' on your last youth hunt,it;s only the beginning.

Comment

Light sparring and mild, non-aggressive grunts can work in the early season, especially if a dominant buck happens to be nearby, but don't expect miracles.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                by jhjimbo
                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
              • Spur of the moment rifle
                by Amflyer
                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
              • The $20 Shooting Shack
                by fitch270
                So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
              • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                by dewman
                one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
              • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                by dewman
                So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X