Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With the death of my hunting partner, my Dad, I have more shotguns and rifles than I need and I am thinking of trading some of t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With the death of my hunting partner, my Dad, I have more shotguns and rifles than I need and I am thinking of trading some of t

With the death of my hunting partner, my Dad, I have more shotguns and rifles than I need and I am thinking of trading some of them in. I have a 7MM, 243 and 30/30. Looking for recomendations on 30-06's. Will be used mainly for deer hunting in the Carolina's. Better yet should I keep what I have.

If i was you i would keep those guns. I know the guns that my father has given me I plan to keep and give them to my children someday. I find them as memorabilia of the good times we had while hunting.

Comment

I have to agree with dsmarx, as i also lost my hunting partner years ago and i've kept these weapons, save one that i gave to a nephew upon his coming of age.the selection you mentioned sounds pretty well rounded for about any game.I've always favored the 30.06 and would recomend the model 700 bolt action or the REMINGTON pump, as the auto has a tendency to jam . I hope this helps you out, and btw if you listen real close you'll still be able to hear youre old partners words. GOOD LUCK

Comment

Thanks, I have put the guns aside that have special memories to me. Like the 1st gun he bought me, a Sears "Ted Williams" 20 gauge, 30 years ago, plus some others. But do I really need a 7mm, looking for advice on the best all around deer rifle. Your thoughts welcome.

Comment

I'd recommend that you keep them. Those are some nice calibers and they would serve as a memory that you can always be thinking about come hunting season.

Comment

For deer, I recommend a .270. I have a Remington 721 that I have had for many years and if you read some of my other post in the answers section you'll understand my affection for the caliber. It will easily take down a deer, shoots flatter than a .30-06 and gives you a 6" point blank window out to 300 yds if you've done your homework on the particular round your shooting. Remington makes several nice ones, but Mossberg has a real nice rifle that they've come out with in the last few years, a friend has one and is very pleased with it. My recommendation is for deer in the US, go with a .270.

Comment

I would keep them. The 7mm and the 06 are very comparible, there really isn't that much of a difference in the two. If you do trade them I would go with thhe Remington 700.

Comment

keep em, there part of your family, and part of your life, keep em until its your time & pass em on to your kids...

Comment

I live and hunt in North Carolina with a 30-06. I have never needed more distance than my 30-06 could handle. My trusty rifle is a Browning A-Bolt. I am completely pleased with it. Browning makes a great gun and I have had no problems with it. I hunt in the Piedmont and the Mountains around Boone, NC and i have been completely pleased with my A-Bolt. What part of the State do you hunt?

Comment

i agree. keep the guns. when a great and close hunting partner dies. keep all you can to remember him. and never forget what he has taught you, and what kind of adventures you guys have been through.

Comment

Good comment Korpi/I THINK YOU'RE ON THE RIGHT TRACK.

Comment

I think that you should definetely keep the guns and pass them down, also a 7mm is a great deer rifle.

Comment

Sorry about you loosing your dad, Keep the guns to pass on. As for recomendations, Savage has a good rifle package for fairly cheap, and I like 165gr nossler for rounds. Good luck and good hunting !

Comment

I would have to agree with most everyones answers. Every gun has stories behind it, and to know and have been part of those stories. Simply pick one of your dads guns up and look at it, I'm sure you'll remember something about him just by holding it. If you really want a 30-06 Marlin,and Stevens (Savage both offer them in very affordable packages,under $300. Both guns shoot well and will serve their purpose without paying top $ for brand names

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gun cleaning patch tip
                              by fitch270
                              So I’m reorganizing the gun bench and notice the mock turtleneck shirt I’ve kept around for cutting into cleaning patches. Good 100% cotton fabric...
                              Today, 03:36 PM
                            • 6.5-284 Borden/Alpine clone XP works great in the field - 588 yards
                              by Ernie
                              Dan Ekstrom and I have been looking for a shooter mule deer buck on public land.

For this area, Tuesday was the last day.

Yesterday, 10:06 AM
                            • Outdoor Life archives
                              by Scott123
                              Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                              10-23-2020, 11:23 PM
                            • Blade Stain
                              by jhjimbo
                              Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                              10-23-2020, 11:40 AM
                            • Home Defense
                              by jhjimbo
                              If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                              10-20-2020, 02:15 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X