Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am going mule deer hunting with my uncle in a few years and Since i am getting a new rifle Should that affect my choice of get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am going mule deer hunting with my uncle in a few years and Since i am getting a new rifle Should that affect my choice of get

I am going mule deer hunting with my uncle in a few years and Since i am getting a new rifle Should that affect my choice of getting a 308 or 270

At short ranges the .308 and .270 are extremely similar(.308 has a slight advantage), but the .270 does a better job at reaching out to further distances(300+ yards). Both will get the job done though. I noticed that your first deer was killed with a .308, so why not stick with a caliber you have shot before?

Comment

Thanks I will keep that in mind

Comment

Any of the three calibers you listed will do the job for mule deer. I would still lean towards the 308 and the 270.

Comment

I'd vote for the .270, but as JM said, there's really not a lot of practical difference.

Comment

Out of pure curiosity what model Savage are you getting? My friend has a Savage 111 in .270 which he killed an elk at 350 yards with.

Comment

What caliber of rifle have you had experience shooting? You want to be sure that you will enjoy firing your new rifle. I guess you are looking to make some longer range shots at mule deer.... western mule deer perhaps? That would explain your choices with the 308 and 270. For an open country rifle the 270 is the clear choice and a very versatile one as well. Apart from the shorter action there is nothing the 308 does that the 30-06 can't do better. Take the 06's little brother, the 270, and use it for the rest of your life. If it kicks too much go for a 23-06 and the mule deer are still in trouble.

Comment

A -1 for my comment? I didn't realize it was so out in left field. I apologize.

Comment

You cann kill any North american animal with a 30-06.

I would say try to test out each gun and whichever is more comfortable stick with that one.Both will do the job.
                  Seth Trudeau

Comment

Pick the one that feels good in your hands and gives you a thrill to think about hunting with. Having confidence in your weapon is more important than having the best one. The difference in ballistics is not great enough to choose one over the other.
                    And... Practice, Practice, Practice!

Comment

All of the answers below are PRIME. I have been taking kids hunting and shooting since the mid 80s and the biggest common factor among "my" 21 kids was accuracy. They liked to shoot straight.
                      So, like my peers have written below, if possible test fire both calibers and go with whichever feels most comfortable to YOU. The more comfortable you are the straighter you will shoot. As previously stated.... practice,practice,practice and then practice some more, from ALL ranges.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget