Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am soon getting my new savage rifle and i was wondering if I should get a 243, 270, or 308 I have used the 308 and the 243 but

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am soon getting my new savage rifle and i was wondering if I should get a 243, 270, or 308 I have used the 308 and the 243 but

I am soon getting my new savage rifle and i was wondering if I should get a 243, 270, or 308 I have used the 308 and the 243 but have also heard many great things about the 270 which one should I get for the long term (Im 14)

Depends, what are you going to be using it for?

Comment

-Before I state my own opinion, let me state that all three will work(For deer and black bears which if I remember correctly is what you hunt for).
      -Personally I would choose the .270 out of the three calibers you have narrowed it down to. Reason being that the .243 starts getting pretty small when it comes to animals larger than a whitetail(and offers very little room for error). Plus, I have never been a big fan of the .308 although it works for many many people.
      -I know Savage chambers in many more rounds than just these three, so if a 7mm Rem Mag was available I would go with that(Recoil might be hard at the beginning, but you will get used to it).

Comment

If you are starting out with one rifle then the 243 is borderline for bear at best. The 308 would be my choice with the 270 a very close second.

Comment

If I were to choose, based upon your age and the versatility of the cartridge, I'd choose the 270. It's aggressively fast, managable recoil, which not only works well for deer but can also be used for coyote hunts and even bear with a heavier grained round. Also, the 270 really reaches out to long distances and with Savage's Accutrigger system, you'll learn alot of great fundamentals that older hunters had to struggle to learn in the past. Maybe think about a solid 3x9 or 4x12 scope system in my opinion,

Comment

Depends on the game game your taking thin skined game .270 is fine, bigger game the .308 would be better

Comment

The .270 Winchester would be the best choice of the three calibers you mentioned as it's the most versitile of the three and is a long-proven game getter.The .308 is also another great choice since it has similar balistics to the venerable 30-06(my personal favorite of more than 30 years)but has less recoil than the '06.The .243 is also another great choice,but it is kind of light for bigger,thick skinned game.But,still,it does have it's merits-less recoil and you can carry more rounds if weight is a consideration.Plus,it's also great for small game.Your choice,but if it was my money,I'd go with the .270 Winchester for all-around game getting power and versatility.Good luck and great hunting!

Comment

Oh,and another thing: Make sure to get yourself a good scope like a Leupold or a Redfield.A 3x9x42 or a 3x9x50 if possible.Both brands of scopes are kind of pricey,but they're definitely worth the additional investment,especially if you intend to keep your new rifle for a long,long time.

Comment

I'm a longtime fan of the .270, and having shot all three of the calibers you mentioned, it would be my choice, with the .308 in second place. A decent scope is a must.

Comment

Congratulations on choosing a Savage,I really like mine. My first choice would be a 308 if you are going to hunt anything up to moose.The 270 is a very capable cartridge, but I have never been a fan. Could be an advantage in having a rifle that uses a military round too.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                      by jhjimbo
                      Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                      09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                    • Spur of the moment rifle
                      by Amflyer
                      I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                      09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                    • The $20 Shooting Shack
                      by fitch270
                      So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                      09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                    • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                      by dewman
                      one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                      09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                    • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                      by dewman
                      So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                      09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X