Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I was to set up a older (~1990s) bow with light to moderate pull (50-65) with modern sights, rest, release, vibration dampene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I was to set up a older (~1990s) bow with light to moderate pull (50-65) with modern sights, rest, release, vibration dampene

If I was to set up a older (~1990s) bow with light to moderate pull (50-65) with modern sights, rest, release, vibration dampeners, etc. What type of accuracy and range would you guys expect? Has anyone done it before and can say for sure?

They might not be as quick/quiet/have has much range, but they WILL shoot accurately. I'm not sure if all of the modern equipment will fit onto the bow, so make sure it will fit before you buy anything. One of my uncles still shoots a Bear compound bow from the 80's and he can hit at 40 yards every time(and thats with all original sights/rest/etc.).

Comment

Thanks a lot, I have three I'm looking at setting up that I've gotten from yard sales over the years, two Bears and a Browning. Going off what you said I think I'll pay more mind to the ol' Fred Bears, they're recurves have always done me right anyway.

Comment

-Since you bought them in a garage sale you may want to wax the string before shooting it very often.
        -Bear definetely made reliable products. The broadheads I shoot are simple fixed blades that were made in the 80s by Bear(My dad aquired quite a few). I've used the same broadhead deer hunting for atleast 5 years now.

Comment

My 1990's PSE still seems to work fine.

Comment

-Assuming it fits you correctly, it should be just as accurate as a newer bow, and should have roughly the same effective range as a new one shot at the same poundage, although the trajectory will be more extreme, due to the lower arrow speed.
            -Where you're really going to see a difference is in shot noise and vibration, and no amount of accessories are going to make it perform as good as a high quality modern bow in those regards.
            -One thing to keep in mind - check over any bow purchased at a garage sale VERY carefully for damaged parts before drawing or firing it, since you don't know anything of its history. I wouldn't use the string that came with it either, especially if it looks like it's the original one.

Comment

I used to have a Golden Eagle bow from the 90's with all newer-age components and never had an issue. Be sure to check the string on it though as I have been told bow strings were not made to the quality and technology as they are now.

Comment

Depending on the brand i would say you would easly be able to make deadly shots from 20 to 30 yards easly. Are you shooting target ar animals.
                But depending on that companys Technology then you could probably get more range without getting to dangerous also depending on how good you shoot.

Comment

I was given a PSE from the late 80's. I had a new string put on, a new rest, sights, and a stabilizer, and I am very confident hunting with it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                    by fitch270
                    Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                    Today, 08:27 PM
                  • Unusual Sound
                    by jhjimbo
                    At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                    Today, 02:17 PM
                  • bedding on new rifle
                    by Amflyer
                    Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                    Today, 12:22 AM
                  • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                    by fitch270
                    Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                    Yesterday, 08:57 PM
                  • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                    by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                    09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X