Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I had a piebald buck that was top buck, in my area last year. He pushed all the other bucks out. The piebald mated with most of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had a piebald buck that was top buck, in my area last year. He pushed all the other bucks out. The piebald mated with most of

I had a piebald buck that was top buck, in my area last year. He pushed all the other bucks out. The piebald mated with most of the does. I know the white piebald's chromosomes and genes are inferier. What are my chances of another piebald or hitting the lottery, with an albino fawn being born?

Here's what I have been told (could be wrong).
    -Piebalds and albinos are prone to disease/illness/deformation so taking them out of the population is good to do. On top of that they often have poor eyesight, and they stick out in the woods, therefore it is more likely for them to get killed by preditors etc.
    -For a piebald/albino fawn to be born both parents must have the gene, so if the buck stays on your property you could give it a few years and see what happnens(obviously the gene was carried somewhere for the buck to be born).
    -The chance of an albino fawn being born from two pinebald deer is not increased.
    -*My* personal opinion on the deer: If I were you and saw the deer during hunting season I would not hesitate to shoot if it was legal. Piebalds look nice, but they are not good for the overall herd. Fawns have a hard enough time surviving where I live, and having white on them would not help matters.

Comment

JM pretty much covered it, I would just say that the chances of more piebalds/albinos are pretty slim, more likely than areas without a dominant piebald buck maybe, but still slim-to-none. So I wouldn't hold my breath.

Comment

I would think your chances are better with the piebald being in the area year before then if he wasn't there.I wouldn't be surprised if the same buck isn't in the same area same time as last year.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
          Here's what I have been told (could be wrong).
          -Piebalds and albinos are prone to disease/illness/deformation so taking them out of the population is good to do. On top of that they often have poor eyesight, and they stick out in the woods, therefore it is more likely for them to get killed by preditors etc.
          -For a piebald/albino fawn to be born both parents must have the gene, so if the buck stays on your property you could give it a few years and see what happnens(obviously the gene was carried somewhere for the buck to be born).
          -The chance of an albino fawn being born from two pinebald deer is not increased.
          -*My* personal opinion on the deer: If I were you and saw the deer during hunting season I would not hesitate to shoot if it was legal. Piebalds look nice, but they are not good for the overall herd. Fawns have a hard enough time surviving where I live, and having white on them would not help matters.
          Interesting information JM. Thanks! I never knew that about piebald deer.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
            JM pretty much covered it, I would just say that the chances of more piebalds/albinos are pretty slim, more likely than areas without a dominant piebald buck maybe, but still slim-to-none. So I wouldn't hold my breath.
            Interesting, what do you base that on HFT?

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
              I would think your chances are better with the piebald being in the area year before then if he wasn't there.I wouldn't be surprised if the same buck isn't in the same area same time as last year.
              I agree with you there 6P - bucks don't travel much on the average.

Comment

Here's some good pics of piebald deer. I read that you passed up the shot on one. Have you seen any more since?

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                  Here's some good pics of piebald deer. I read that you passed up the shot on one. Have you seen any more since?
                  Hmmm, still no answer to my question posted in May...

Comment

"How rare are albinos?

"Exceedingly rare! In fact, the chances of an albino deer being born are about 1 in 20,000, according to John Bates, Wisconsin Northwoods naturalist and co-author of White Deer: Ghosts of the Forest. Other sources say the odds are closer to 1 in 30,000.

"Although these are the most commonly quoted figures, several more sources refer to a Wisconsin study (not found yet) that estimates the odds at 1 in 42,500. Still another source says the number of albino births could be as low as 1 in 100,000. Suffice it to say…if you ever see a white deer, you’re one of the lucky few.

Comment

Here's a few articles about albino and piebald deer.

By the way, it's inferior, not inferior. Spell check is your friend. LMAO!

Comment

Here's a few articles about albino and piebald deer.

By the way, it's inferior, not 'inferier'. Spell check is your friend. LMAO!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                          by jhjimbo
                          Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                          09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                        • Spur of the moment rifle
                          by Amflyer
                          I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                          09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                        • The $20 Shooting Shack
                          by fitch270
                          So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                          09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                        • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                          by dewman
                          one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                          09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                        • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                          by dewman
                          So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                          09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X