Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, after all of these years, we now we have confirmed CWD in Iowa, thanks to a deer farm in the business of raising captive d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, after all of these years, we now we have confirmed CWD in Iowa, thanks to a deer farm in the business of raising captive d

Well, after all of these years, we now we have confirmed CWD in Iowa, thanks to a deer farm in the business of raising captive deer for “hunters” to pay huge sums of money to kill a big deer in a cage. Any thoughts?

Shut them all down!

Comment

Same thing just happened in Missouri(they never said deer farms were the cause, but confirmed that they found cases of CWD in multiple deer farms)...like MWK said, shut them all down or require them to pay a ton of money to get them shots/checked for diseases every year.

Comment

What?!? I hadn't heard that, where did you hear about it? It was just found in the penned-up deer, and not a free-ranging one, right?

Comment

huntfishtrap,
          Missouri took away the antler restriction in 6 counties for this upcoming year(Including where I hunt) in hopes of killing more deer which in theory may help limit the spread of CWD. They HAVE found multiple cases of CWD in free ranging deer.

Comment

Huntfishtrap: It hit the news sites yesterday. It sounds like it is on a game farm in Davis County, but I’m sure it’s now just a matter of time until they find it in our native herd. I guess we will just have to stay tuned to see how it will affect the upcoming season. I hope they don’t loosen restrictions like JM said they are doing in Missouri. It is caused by a prion that attaches to the soil and even removing every deer will do no good, as the prions will still be there when new deer return.

Comment

4everAutumn,
              Does the warm winter/hot summer contribute to CWD popping up?

Comment

JM: The only thing I have ever read about temperature is that the prions that cause CWD are very resistant to extremes of both heat and cold. The CWD prions are dispersed from an infected deer by way of saliva, feces and urine and it would make sense that if deer are together in large groups, they are going to be spread. So, I would imagine if deer concentrate around the same watering hole in hot, dry weather, heat could sure be an indirect contributing factor. I wonder though if a warm winter might keep deer spread out more than they are in extreme cold and could be a benefit.

Comment

-If it is transferred via saliva I doubt the lack of rain is helping matters(limited places to drink).
                  -Around here many crops have been killed by the heat, so the deer will need to be on the move looking for food, so that may help.

Comment

Yeah, I found that news article yesterday too, I didn't mean to sound like I didn't believe you guys, I was just surprised to hear about it.
                    I'd like to think that our illustrious DNR (heavy sarcasm) could keep it contained to the penned-up deer, but I doubt it.

Comment

That is indeed very bad news. CWD is always fatal to the infected deer and after spending millions of dollars there is no cure, no reliable detection method for live animals and the prion stays in the soil for decades. There is no known way to kill the prion other than a 1400 degree fire, scientists think.
                      WI has been out in the forefront of CWD eradication strategies and nothing has worked. CWD continues to methodically spread around the state.
                      It is thought deer get CWD around areas where they congregate; feeding stations, waterholes, especially attract food plots and breeding scrapes.
                      There is a viable theory that some of the commercial deer feed pellets, those that were made with rendered parts of deer, beef and sheep started the CWD infection in WI. This theory has not been dis-proven. It could account for CWD in captive deer as these pellets are fed to them making it reasonable for a knee jerk reaction against deer farmers. But many hunters and backyard deer feeders also use these pellets to feed and bait wild deer.
                      Deer feeding and baiting is still legal in WI except in areas of CWD outbreak. In my humble opinion this is like closing the barn door after the escape.
                      later,
                      charlie

Comment

That's crappy news for Iowa. If the DNR is on the ball, they should be sampling the wild herd pretty intensely around the confirmed source.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                          by jhjimbo
                          If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                          Today, 02:15 PM
                        • Pay it forward
                          by fitch270
                          I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                          10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                        • Reloading Gear Order
                          by fitch270
                          I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                          10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                        • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                          by dewman
                          Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                          10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                        • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                          by Ernie
                          Any handgun hunters here?
                          Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                          10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X