Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The first big buck I ever encountered evaded me easily,after a missed shot with an old single barrel.I heard my father shoot,I d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first big buck I ever encountered evaded me easily,after a missed shot with an old single barrel.I heard my father shoot,I d

The first big buck I ever encountered evaded me easily,after a missed shot with an old single barrel.I heard my father shoot,I don't know why I guess being 11yr. old may have had something to do with it,but I STARTED CRYING.Dad arrived and asked what was wrong,so I told him I missed an ez shot on that big buck.He grinned and sat down beside and said , guess I'LL cry with you I MISSED HIM TOO. So ladies and gents any funny stories you recall ?

Couple years ago a buddy of mine arrowed a deer. Me and another friend that had been down there were just watching TV and he came in telling us that he arrowed a deer but he couldn't find any more blood. We all went out together(Its like 9AM, bright sunny day) and followed the blood trail until the end. At the same time me and my friend started busting out landing because at the end of the blood trail the doe was laying 5 feet away. We stood there for 5 minutes laughing before my buddy saw his deer laying there. He was just so caught up looking for blood he tuned out the deer itself.

Comment

Okay, I gotta give him credit. It was more like 15 feet away, not 5.

Comment

busting out laughing*...dumb phone. Sorry for 3 posts.

Comment

I have one that wasn't what I'd call funny, but it was weird. I was muzzleloader hunting with my brothers and father, one of my brothers was still-hunting his way through a patch of timber, and the rest of us were standing at the end. But then somebody on the neighboring property kicked a nice buck out from behind me, and it ran out into an open field and stopped. I had to quickly estimate the range, and judged it at 130 yards, well within range for my gun/load. So I put the crosshairs right on the buck's spine, allowing for a few inches of drop, and squeezed it off. The deer didn't kick or anything - just bounded away out of sight, and I thought I had somehow missed.
          Then I decided to pace off the distance, and to my shock came up with 210 yards, 80 more than I thought. So then I was so disgusted I almost didn't look for blood, but I did, and lo and behold, I found some, and 75 yards later, found the deer, hit perfectly through the lungs! I will never know how I hit the deer there, since I didn't hold nearly high enough to compensate for the drop on that long of a shot, and we later came back with a rangefinder, and found out that the shot was indeed about 200 yards. I guess sometimes it's better to be lucky than good! (And I've never taken a long shot since without knowing the range!)

Comment

That's a father for you, 6phunter. Laughing is better than crying about an honesst miss. Sounds like you had a good one! Thanks for the chuckle.

Comment

when i was younger i was sittng with my Dad during bow season and two gray squirrels were chasing eachother up a tree, well about 30 ft up one fell hit the ground jumped up and looked around like "no one saw that... Im good" and darted back up the tree

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                Okay, I gotta give him credit. It was more like 15 feet away, not 5.
                5 yards

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                  busting out laughing*...dumb phone. Sorry for 3 posts.
                  More points that way, lol!

Comment

My wife cries when she misses a deer.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                      by fitch270
                      Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                      Today, 08:27 PM
                    • Unusual Sound
                      by jhjimbo
                      At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                      Today, 02:17 PM
                    • bedding on new rifle
                      by Amflyer
                      Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                      Today, 12:22 AM
                    • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                      by fitch270
                      Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                      Yesterday, 08:57 PM
                    • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                      by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                      09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X