Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't see many of the rifles in ODL fitted with iron sites. Your thoughts on iron sites under a mounted scope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't see many of the rifles in ODL fitted with iron sites. Your thoughts on iron sites under a mounted scope?

I don't see many of the rifles in ODL fitted with iron sites. Your thoughts on iron sites under a mounted scope?

Since I've never been able to hit very well with iron sights, I've never had much use for them and the scope over iron puts the scope too high. Besides, you have to decide which sights you're going to use and that fraction of a second may make you lose the shot. With a variable power scope, you can hit quickly as well with the scope as you can with iron sights. IMNSHO

Comment

I only use iron sights(Except on a .22 I use strictly for shooting at targets).
      -Like piney said, I feel having both a scope and iron sights may cause a split second hesitation(which as you know could be all it takes).
      -I do not agree that you can get on target using a scope as quickly as iron sights when at close distances/moving targets/in bad weather. On the contrary though, long range targets and stationary targets give an advantage to a scope hunter(for me)

Comment

I'm with pineywoods on this one, I've never been a great shot with open sights, I think my eyesight is not good enough maybe. So consequently, I personally don't have much use for them on my guns. About the only time they come in handy is when you think you may have knocked your scope off during a hunt, then you can use them for backup if they're sighted in to the same point of impact.

Comment

1, Articles about advantages of open sight rifles
          and hunting doesn't sell many scopes advertised.2.SCOPES/OPEN SIGHT RIFLES,offer benefits to both.The less obvious advantage is that it allows you choice selection ,How many times have you heard a friend say""I'm moving up to a scope next year"? LOL ,it's not a ladder movemnet up,it's a LATERAL movement.Knowing and becoming adept w/both is an advantage,YES,there have been that fraction split of the second decision time and missed,but I PROBABLY would have anyway.Our hunting stradegies ,terrain,enviroment including social help determine in which methods we are best.As the old saying goes{BEWARE OF THE MAN WITH ONE GUN,HE'S PROBABLY VERY GOOD WITH IT.''WHEN YOU HAVE TWO SIGHTS ON THAT ONE GUN IT'S SEEMS LIKE IT'S EVEN BETTER.

Comment

I used iron sights when I was young. But my eyes aren't what they used to be so I use scopes on all my rifles with the exception of my T/C Hawken.

Comment

I have an old set of weaver rings that are hinged, this allows me to rotate the scope off to the side to use the iron sights.

This set up leaves the scope low enough that I don't have to lift my head to see throught the scope.

I have never used the iron sights while hunting although the benefit of such a set-up is that if I fall or hit my scope hard enough that I think the scope has become mis-aligned, I can move the scope out of the way and use the iron sights until I sight the scope in again.

I have experimented with sighting in and moving the scope back and forth and it always locks in tight and zero doesn't change.

Comment

my bRO has that on his .223 remington 700 adl and it sucks because he cant fit his scope unless he goes and puts the iron sights way d own and has to remember wear they were before or he has to take them off.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget