Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Due to the number of deer being found with CWD, the Missouri Department of Conservation has removed the antler-point restriction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Due to the number of deer being found with CWD, the Missouri Department of Conservation has removed the antler-point restriction

Due to the number of deer being found with CWD, the Missouri Department of Conservation has removed the antler-point restriction (the restriction was that a buck must have atleast 4 points on one antler) in the 6 counties that have had cases of CWD. The theory behind this is that young and mature bucks are much more likely to carry the disease, so the hope is that more will be killed now that the point restriction is gone. Many of these counties have a high number of deer killed each year, along with the county that often has the most deer killed in the entire state. Any thoughts on this move to remove the point restriction? Also, I live in one of the counties that has had cases of CWD. I have never seen any deer that had any sign of the disease be it on my land or killed by another hunter near by. Should there be a certain type of deer I should target during archery/rifle season to help out? Also if you wan't to read more about it: http://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/mdc-open-house-cwd-next-steps-june-2-macon-county

I wouldn't necessarily target a deer for that specific reason but if I saw one that was gaunt or acting oddly, I would pass on it. Where I hunt in WI there was an eradication zone and I believe it still is. You could shoot as many does as you wanted to buy tags for. Once you shot a doe you could then shoot a buck. I honestly believe that project was a failure.

Comment

Yeah, I personally don't agree with programs like that, while I don't actually hunt there, I live right across the Mississippi river from the CWD eradication zone in Wisconsin, where they had a program much like yours in Missouri, and that one was widely considered a flop, because they pretty much exterminated the bucks, but they still have the disease there.
      As far as you shooting any special deer goes, I wouldn't bother with it, unless you see an animal acting sick, then I WOULD shoot it, and notify the authorities.

Comment

THEORY ? A theory is a guess,it may be an educated guess but still a guess. DSM, HUNT FISHTRAP,SHOWING WISDOM in the deer woods with advise on which deer to target.

Comment

The purpose of targeting specific deer is to help prevent the disease from spreading. For years data has been collected on deer dispersal and home ranges. Generally, bucks disperse when they are 1-1.5 years of age, so young bucks have the most potential to spread disease to new areas. Dispersals are generally 1-10 miles, but 20+ mile dispersals are not uncommon, and 40+ mile dispersals have been recorded. Additionally, adult bucks have been recorded to use core areas that are several miles apart. Adult does tend to have a very small home range, often no more than 300-600 acres. For the sake of containing the disease, shoot every buck and fawn you can. Wisconsin failed to contain CWD, but NY didn't...the key was early detection and aggressive localized harvest. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by DSMbirddog View Post
            I wouldn't necessarily target a deer for that specific reason but if I saw one that was gaunt or acting oddly, I would pass on it. Where I hunt in WI there was an eradication zone and I believe it still is. You could shoot as many does as you wanted to buy tags for. Once you shot a doe you could then shoot a buck. I honestly believe that project was a failure.
            If I saw a sickly deer that one would be toast. You don't need it spreading

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
              THEORY ? A theory is a guess,it may be an educated guess but still a guess. DSM, HUNT FISHTRAP,SHOWING WISDOM in the deer woods with advise on which deer to target.
              I don't understand 6P. Please explain

Comment

Originally posted by bioguy01 View Post
                The purpose of targeting specific deer is to help prevent the disease from spreading. For years data has been collected on deer dispersal and home ranges. Generally, bucks disperse when they are 1-1.5 years of age, so young bucks have the most potential to spread disease to new areas. Dispersals are generally 1-10 miles, but 20+ mile dispersals are not uncommon, and 40+ mile dispersals have been recorded. Additionally, adult bucks have been recorded to use core areas that are several miles apart. Adult does tend to have a very small home range, often no more than 300-600 acres. For the sake of containing the disease, shoot every buck and fawn you can. Wisconsin failed to contain CWD, but NY didn't...the key was early detection and aggressive localized harvest. Good luck!
                Thanks BIOGUY for inserting some science into the discussion.

Comment

Here's a link to Missouri's CWD website...

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                    Here's a link to Missouri's CWD website...
                    I hope this helps.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                      by fitch270
                      Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                      09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
                    • Grips and stocks
                      by dewman
                      so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                      09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
                    • Youth pheasant hike
                      by fitch270
                      Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                      09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                    • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                      by fitch270
                      Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                      09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                    • Unusual Sound
                      by jhjimbo
                      At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                      09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X