Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Say you were out squirrel hunting and had a .22 and a bear came at 15 feet and the gun was single shot were would you shoot the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say you were out squirrel hunting and had a .22 and a bear came at 15 feet and the gun was single shot were would you shoot the

Say you were out squirrel hunting and had a .22 and a bear came at 15 feet and the gun was single shot were would you shoot the bear if it charged (this is a true story, but the bear didn't charge us) me and my dad.

Shooting a bear with a.22 is a very good way to really irritate the bear, and a bear is not a critter you want irritated, particularly if the bear views you as the source of his irritation. The odds of stopping a bear with a .22 are negligible. Plus in some states, if you shoot the bear and survive, you could spend a long time thinking about your folly while a guest of your state government incarceration facility. It's not worth the risk.

Comment

I read about a fellow that use to brag he had killed 9 grizzlies with a .22 cal. and well placed shots,this bragging ended when bear ten wasn't hit quite as well .probbably best to use the rifle as a club and spend youre shot as a warning .

Comment

a .22 wont do much but make the bear angry like Bo already said. but if you had to do it i'd probably go for the eyes and blind it. A bear still has a great sense of smell though so get as far away from the bear as possible when you make the shot,preferably toward your camp where you may have high powered rifles in case the bear follows you.

Comment

If it were me I would go for a shot between the eyes and hope it would get through the skull for a brain hit. Then use the gun as a club.

Comment

A .22 isn't a very large caliber, and like everyone else has said it probably wouldn't do a whole lot of good unless you want to make it angry. My suggestion just don't do it. It's probably a better idea to carry a secondary firearm that has the capability to put a bear down than to jsut carry the .22 rifle.

Comment

Carry a Pistol!!!

Comment

I second dave03b. I carry a Smith 629 Classic Hunter when I am in the field away from civilization as You just never know. And a .44 Mag is real good insurance, if it's not enough for the situation, I never really had a chance anyway.

Comment

I would carry a pistol. But if i was in your situation i would shoot the bear if it was a black bear or shoot close to it if it were a brown bear.

Comment

I seem to remember a story back in the 60's in outdoor life about a eskimo girl that kiled polar bears using a single shot 22 by shooting them inside the ear...then would run off a bit and use a pocket knife to extract the shell and reload..and then head back in to shoot em again if they lived.

But being a guy..I am sure with a 22 I would soon be one with the bear..untll left bend on the trail by natures natural processing.

So to avoid that I carry big guns and take really slow running friends as a hunting partner

Comment

Some good comments except....dont shoot it between the eyes as the shell will only deflect off the skull. I have heard about the shooting it around the ear thought as it is the only place a small caliber has a chance of getting to the brain. If the bear is coming at you though the ear is out of the question. I would suggest you were loose clothing so you can bend over and kiss your xxx goodbye unless you have someone with you that runs slower.

Comment

the point of the storie is that I lucked out and the mom was not hunting me was only worried about her cubs. I dont suggest to run like I did but I did what came first and did not have a split sec. to think about it. Its part of the risk that we take part of when we push threw brush and wooded area's. I read where this guy was walking on a lake about 3 miles from where Ilive he lost his dog walking out then allmost to the trail head comes running the dog with a huge Griz on his tail the huy was packing some small caliber but was smart enuff to jump behind a big tree and use his gun as a club. Dancing around for about 5 min. the guy said smashing him in the snout. The dog was helping of couse after the 5 min the bear started chasing the dog again. I dont remember what magazine it was in but my father has it burried in all his magzines some where. I'll find where and what magzine its in so you can read more on it.

Comment

One of my Grandfather's acquaintances hunted Grizzly in the area outside of Waterton National Park which is part of an International Park that extends down into Montana. This character hunted the big bears with a 30-30 Winchester. My Grandfather had told him he was crazy but the fellow was too successful not to be acknowledged as someone who knew his business. He claimed he let the bears charge him!?! He swore that they always reared up on their hind legs at some point at which time he would put a round thru the roof of their mouths into their brain. Now, understand my Grandfather was drinking man as was his acquaintance but the fact the man was eventually killed by a grizzly gives the story some credibility. One bear must have felt four legs are better than two and neglected to rear for the rifle.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                            by jhjimbo
                            Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                            09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                          • Spur of the moment rifle
                            by Amflyer
                            I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                            09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                          • The $20 Shooting Shack
                            by fitch270
                            So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                            09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                          • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                            by dewman
                            one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                            09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                          • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                            by dewman
                            So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                            09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X